The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 01:59 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about
Default Please, no autographs

So i have been a terrible fly caster my whole life. My maximum casting distance was around 40'-50'.

So the last week i have been practicing casting in my back yard for 30 minutes a day. Well today with a very slight breeze at my back, i got all my fly line out.

It was a swirling wind, so even when the wind shifted so that i was casting into it, i was still able to get 60' casts on a pretty regular basis. And when the wind died down i was in the 70-80' range. This was a huge improvement for me.

I was doing this on a sage DT2 5wt with flyline that is at least 6 years old. I wasnt using a fly however.

My next goal is to try to get a small streamer in the 60-70' range on my 8 wt. That is actually a useful distance for when i go walleye fishing. Although it is kind of useless for trout fishing.

I know this thread is just about me bragging, but if you saw me cast even 3 months ago you would of laughed at me. I guess practicing is the key.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please, no autographs

MTskibum: Yes practicing your casting will certainly improve both the accuracy and the distance, keep up the good work!

Larry
Old 05-19-2009, 09:23 PM

Mnflyfish is a jewel in the roughMnflyfish is a jewel in the roughMnflyfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Please, no autographs

Congratulations! i would think of it not as bragging, but an incentive for ppl like me who are awful casters to practice, practice,practice.