The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wind Casting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Hey Cliff,
My wife and I were fishing in HONKING winds a couple of weeks ago: white
caps on the big part of the lake, and rollers coming into the cove we were
fishing. The wind was at our backs, and my wife loved the casts she was
getting by casually using the rod to toss line into the stiff breeze. Even after
laying all the stripped line out straight, most cast pulled line off the spool as
well .
Yep, gotta use it to your advantage.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:32 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Hey Riptide is that you? I have a Tupperware stripping basket too! I love the thing, works better that the $60 Orvis one my buddy uses
Yeah, that's me, my old yankee heritage doesn't permit me to pay big bucks for something I can easily make
I included that picture 'cuz that was an honest 20 knot wind that day, probably even more.
My basket has some rather unique line management cones... not the usual zip-ties or trimmer line fingers
I'll post some pictures next time the subject comes up
Old 04-12-2009, 09:57 AM

tatco is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the replies and the helpful suggestions. I have put them to the test for my particular casting style. I'm a bit anal when it comes to measurements. So when I wanted to see what I could cast in the wind I used an anemometer(wind speed gauge). 15 mph is marginal for me 20 mph is darn near impossible. On a calm day I can cast all my fly line (100') with a 12' leader on a 10 weight. On a 5 weight I'm good to 80'.

As measured, the wind is somewhat less as you get closer to the surface (ground/water). A 45 degree off of vertical for me gets the fly line between 9'- 10' off the surface, full side arm 90 degree from vertical gets it down to 4'. At those angles a 20 mph wind is 19 and 14 respectively.

My test with a hand tied 20' leader was fine in a calm condition, tended to get blown back at 15 mph and useless at 20 mph. So without a doubt I'll be shortening up on the leader as the wind increases.

I'll do more testing and report back as soon as the rain stops here in Castle Rock, Colorado.

As far as the wind? It's spring and the wind always blows. That is how I came up with the speeds. It has been blowing from 12 mph to 27 mph steady with gusts up to 43.

The next tests will be changing the pitch of the line. So instead of casting to a spot above the horizon I'll angle the cast to shot the line into the sky and stab at the target.

And casting down wind? Like FrankB2 says it really takes the line out. So for all you wind casters may the target be always down wind.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:38 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Yeah, that's me, my old yankee heritage doesn't permit me to pay big bucks for something I can easily make
I included that picture 'cuz that was an honest 20 knot wind that day, probably even more.
My basket has some rather unique line management cones... not the usual zip-ties or trimmer line fingers
I'll post some pictures next time the subject comes up
I used foam darts from my son's Nerf gun. They are about 3" long and 1/2" dimameter. I siliconed them down and they work great nd stay flexible so they don't come lose.