The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 12:23 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Sinking leader ?

I have read references to a sinking leader. How do you build one (lenght/material) and what would be the application?
Old 04-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Sinking leader ?

Tracker,

I haven't bought any lately but Orvis used to sell tungsten impregnated braided leaders designed to sink. I also use braided lead head material available from Beartooth products.

The Beartooth heads are a loop to loop material ranging in length from 24' to 72". These will take a mono leader down when used as a butt section. I used to use these for fishing with streamer flies when water levels were high and swift enough that my fly would not reach the desired depth without help. They are easier to cast than having a bunch of split shot on your line and aren't as prone to getting snagged as sinkers are. They also allow your streamer to be presented just off the bottom with proper line control. This is because the weighted / sinking section is a distance determined by you from the fly. I used a piece of 8 or ten pound test mono attached to the lead heads for my leader and they worked great.

Gander Mtn. carried some similar material made by or marketed by Gudebrod but you had to create your own lengths and loops when using this brand.

Hope this fills in some blanks for you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I don't know of a way to make a tapered sinking leader. Airflo originally came out with sinking polyleaders in multiple sink rates years ago and they're now available through Rio, Cortland, Orvis, and Cabela's as well. Its sorta built like a really short tapered sinking fly line with a monofilament core. Different sink rates, break strengths, and lengths are available.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Cliff,

You seem to be on the cutting edge of the new product world and so will be a better source than I for info. I just tossed that out in case the fella wanted to give them a try. I'm kinda a caveman in respect to new products. The stuff I mentioned is 20 year old technology and I have a bunch of it so I don't shop.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Cliff,

You seem to be on the cutting edge of the new product world and so will be a better source than I for info. I just tossed that out in case the fella wanted to give them a try. I'm kinda a caveman in respect to new products. The stuff I mentioned is 20 year old technology and I have a bunch of it so I don't shop.

Ard
Didn't mean to offend at all, and to be honest, I don't always read all posts in a thread. If it looks like I've not paid attention to a post, I'm afraid that might be exactly it. I generally focus on the initial question.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:34 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I could be wrong but all mono sinks no? a floating line at one end a floating fly at the other might keep your leader suspended but that easy to fix with a sinking fly no?
Old 04-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I could be wrong but all mono sinks no? a floating line at one end a floating fly at the other might keep your leader suspended but that easy to fix with a sinking fly no?
Mono itself actually floats. (at least until is absorbs a certain amount of water) This is one of the selling points for flourocarbon: unlike mono, its more dense than water, and thus sinks on its own and will let a lure/fly sink faster as well.

But comparing the sink rate of even flourocarbon tippet/leader to the tungsten impregnated sinking leaders is like comparing the sink rates of a grape and a lead bullet.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:35 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Mono itself actually floats. (at least until is absorbs a certain amount of water) This is one of the selling points for flourocarbon: unlike mono, its more dense than water, and thus sinks on its own and will let a lure/fly sink faster as well.

But comparing the sink rate of even flourocarbon tippet/leader to the tungsten impregnated sinking leaders is like comparing the sink rates of a grape and a lead bullet.
Thanks Cliff,

Try one of these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1371_35.jpg (7.2 KB, 73 views)
Old 04-13-2009, 07:36 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

thanks for the info. I was looking for something to get me down a little more for shad. I was wondering if you could tie is a section of lead core line that would do the same thing. I will check out the Orvis store and see what they have.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I make a TAPERED FURLED sinking leader.