The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 09:22 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Furl Girl Leaders

I ordered a couple of sinking leaders from Flygoddess for shad fishing and she sent me a 5 1/2 foot regular leader in for free. I tried it this evening at the pond fishing for bream and bass on my 5/6 wt. This leader fished very nice and cast outstanding. I was able to lay down the line and have the tippet extend nicely. I am a true novice and might not be the best gauge but these leaders helped me. One think I noticed that if I reeled the line in past the leader I could easily cast it out vice having to reach up and pull the line past the tip. Can wait to try the sinking leaders this week.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:56 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Re: Furl Girl Leaders

I have a couple of Joni's leader's that I have yet to tie on. I am excited to try them out!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:09 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Likewise. Have yet to use mine. I showed it off at our last FF club meeting. It was a big hit. One thing that surprised me was how many experienced fly fishermen were not familiar nor had heard of furled leaders. Are these new to fly fishing?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:25 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I have used furled leaders just recently for the first time...unfortunately, they are not Joni's.

With the possible exception of nymphing, I'll never go back to tapered leaders.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:48 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Likewise. Have yet to use mine. I showed it off at our last FF club meeting. It was a big hit. One thing that surprised me was how many experienced fly fishermen were not familiar nor had heard of furled leaders. Are these new to fly fishing?
Furled leaders have been around since silk fly lines (maybe even before). They were first made by furling horses tail hair. Long time ago. Or something like that. Basically dropped off the face of the earth when gut leaders came around. Then nylon monofiliment came into being and both were forgot. Until about 10 years ago when I got my first leader from Jim Cramer in California. Finally I got Joni to start making them after I heard and bought a DVD from Kathy Scott on building your own.
At least that's my story and I'll stick with it.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:59 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

As Mojo said, furled leaders have been around for a looooong time. Had you bumped into Isaak Walton or Charles Cotton back in the 1600's, they could have shown you the furled leader they were using.

If you are interested in the history of various flyfishing concepts, try to find a copy of a book by Darrel Martin called "The Fly-Fisher's Craft". Darrel may be most responsible for reviving the interest in Furled Leaders, his book "Micropatterns" is one of the first detailed references I recall seeing.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 04-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys! Are you ready for this.....I found some GLO IN THE DARK Coats and Clark thread...LOL
Old 05-31-2009, 12:27 PM

Angling Sidekick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Thanks guys! Are you ready for this.....I found some GLO IN THE DARK Coats and Clark thread...LOL
I may be new but glo in the dark sounds really neat!!
Old 07-15-2009, 06:53 PM

Angling Sidekick is on a distinguished road

I really like the Glo Leader from FlyGoddess. I have only had it on the water 1 time but it worked perfect and it looks cool at dusk. now weather it will spook the fish or not I couldn't tell you. I'm still floundering around a lot trying to get to a consistent cast, but the leader is great. Thx again.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:51 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Furl Girl Leaders

Old thread, but Joni's leaders are exceptional. Even use them on my 2handers. Folks who have cast same .... HOW DO I GET IN CONTACT WITH HER!!??

Seriously, they are exceptional bit's 'o kit.

fae