The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 01:04 PM

CowboyJustin26 is on a distinguished road
Default Can Anyon give a complete newbie advice??

I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:08 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Can Anyon give a complete newbie advice??

im a newbie to fly fishing too been once or twice and buying my own gear atm. i found these videos on youtube which seem to be helpful, kinda old though. theres about 30 of them going over casting, the river, tackle, and much more.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Is Anyon Gweneth Paltrow's latest child?

For fly fishing help, our FAQ and Search features will be quite helpful.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:21 PM

CowboyJustin26 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Is Anyon Gweneth Paltrow's latest child?

For fly fishing help, our FAQ and Search features will be quite helpful.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:17 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Check out your local library for some books, talk to the people at your local fly shop, read as many threads on here as humanly possible as this site is full of useful info and don't post pics of dead fish.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:06 PM

doc will become famous soon enough

There are a ton of people on here that are more than willing to help out a newbie. What is it though you would like help with? You need to be more specific.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 05-04-2009, 08:22 AM

mikeo will become famous soon enough

Lots of resources on the net for newbie fly fishers -- including this forum -- but you do need to be more specific in what you need info on -- if you're looking for general info on casting etc. I would suggest you check out some of the links on my blog (link at bottom of this post) -- not that my blog is neccessarily outstanding in content (just the ramblings of a certifiable trout bum LOL LOL) but I have tried to create what I hope is a pretty good list on various subjects dealing with fly fishing including links on casting, fly tying, etc. plus links to other helpful forums just like this -- not to mention other very well written blogs (as opposed to mine own attempt LOL LOL) and sites on all things generally fly fishing -- think last count I was up over 300 links so you might find something of help

I do apologize if this seems like a shameless plug -- wasn't meant that way

Tight Lines,
Mike
"Fly fishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." -John Gierach
Old 05-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

You'll get a lot of help here, but you need to tell us a bit more- what are you fishing for, where are you located? What questions do you have? If you're looking for gear recommendations it'd be helpful to let us know what your fishing for and an approximate budget.

There are a lot of good books that will give you an over view of fly fishing (LL Bean and Orvis have intro guides, even the "dummy intro to fly fishing" gives a pretty good overview, and there should be something in your local library or through the interloan program from other branches if your local one doesn't have one. And there's a ton of stuff in the FAQs section and past threads here.

There's also a ton of resources on the web. Google "fly fishing 101" for some basic info. For some free casting vids google "youtube tight lines fly casting part one" (for the first of a 3 part series)

Your best source of hands on help will be a fly fishing buddy, local fly shop or fly fishing club. They can help you get started in fly casting and coach you along, help with where to go, and get you going. But you'll also get a lot of helpful advice here if you can be a little more specific.

mark
Old 06-22-2009, 11:25 PM

bakerboy2222 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac. View Post
im a newbie to fly fishing too been once or twice and buying my own gear atm. i found these videos on youtube which seem to be helpful, kinda old though. theres about 30 of them going over casting, the river, tackle, and much more.
This helped me a great deal too.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:56 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen the videos mentioned above, but this shorter series will get you
casting quickly: YouTube - Tight Lines-Learning to Fly Cast Part 1