The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 10:45 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default casting angle

I was taught to do the 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock type cast- a short arch with an abrupt stop. I've seen pictures of anglers in salt water with the rod way back in order to get more distance and I'm a bit confused about that kind of casting. What is a good cast to achieve more distance?
Old 05-11-2009, 05:15 AM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: casting angle

10 o'clock to 2 is fine but it will only get you a 30 or 40 foot cast. after that you have to start going back farther for more distance.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:42 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

In a nutshell... the clock positions you mentioned are a good ball park deal for normal casting ranges... barring any need to raise or lower the presentation.
For more distance you still must stop the rod (which is the primary reason for the 10 and 2 analogy) but you should spread the distance between the stops.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:45 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

There are other factors involved, especially in salt water. The type of rod, weither or not it's overlined, single haul, double haul. Sometime you just have to do what works for you.
It doesn't matter how you get it out there, its how you bring it back that matters
Old 05-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

What your likely seeing is what is called "drift". For a backcast to work well, you still have to stop the rod at a point when the trajectory of the tip is upward to flat, not down. After that, one can "drift" the rod back further to a starting point further back so one can produce a longer, more powerful forward casting stroke.

Fly rod Drifting

This guy stops way lower than is practical while fishing, but you can see him stop at an angle, and drift to horizontal-
[YOUTUBE]T8AcQOKkzXQ[/YOUTUBE]

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:56 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Just to add my two cents: drifting the rod after making an abrupt stop can add slack to the cast and therefore ruin it; so remember not to drift too fast or too soon - wait for the line to unroll at least halfway.

Randy
Old 05-11-2009, 10:20 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone who posted so far is correct, but I wouldn't get too hung up on a specific technique. 10 and 2 is a good starting point but you can modify it to what suits you and the conditions. The wind, your location, distance, even the fly might change your cast. For example I always throw my clousers with an oval or sidearm cast(partly because I'm tired of unwanted piercings and broken tips) but it works for me. Try a few different casts when you get into the water and see what works.
Like Lefty says in his demos, "as long as the line is moving, I can cast it"
Old 05-11-2009, 12:03 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I'm still somewhat new to fly fishing, and will probably always consider myself a "novice", so my 2 cents are worth just about that.

When I'm casting on the water, I watch the line over my shoulder and also take note of the rod, itself. No matter the angle. I can see/feel it when it loads properly.

The absolute hardest thing for me to learn (or unlearn) is that if you try to muscle it, fly casting does not work. I try to relax and let the rod do the work. Like most, I never get the time to fish the way I want to, but now that warmer weather has shown up, I'll do some practicing in the backyard.

Since this is about my second year, I'll put out some hoola hoops to practice getting it exactly where I want it.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:25 AM

Armando will become famous soon enough

Forget about the clock, as Lefty Kreh says... it would be a good thing to buy a Lefty video and check it out.
The 4 principles do work and explain perfectly every thing your doubting on.

Its all a matter of rythm and timing.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:43 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

That Rick Hartman you tube video- that's what I was talking about- it looks like he is shooting out a lot of line and the rod is going way back- I don't see any abrupt stops- I assume the cast is needed for distance and that a lot of salt water anglers use it- is there any step by step mechanics on how to do that type of cast?