The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 01:21 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Big time casters

I have been looking at some you tube videos of casting competitions and really amazing distance casters. I noticed something. They all seem to have a red (or maybe dark Orange?) line. One of these distance guys was Steve Rajeff. I think I remember hearing somewhere that he is the Airflo guy for the US. What is this line they all seem to be using? Is it an Airflo line? I saw Rajeff hit something like 114' with one.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Big time casters

Wrong Rajeff. Steve's brother Tim is the Airflo dist for the US. If they're using an Airflo line, I'd guess its the Ridge Distance.

In some casting competitions, they require that all use the same line, so thats likely what you saw there.

And the line is a minor factor for those casters. They could likely achieve 90% of their top distance with a $10 line.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:33 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I believe they're using SA or Mastery Expert Distance line. (Similiar to the old XXD.)

Personally, I didn't like the line. Maybe I just wasn't used to it. I found it a bit heavy, and was getting terrible tailing loops. I actually cast farther with the old Rio Long Distance line.

Randy
Old 05-14-2009, 12:22 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I looked up both lines. One is yellow and the other is mint green. I can't find a red or dark reddish orange line in any of the catalogs I have. I keep seeing the red line all over you tube. It's not just casting competitions, it's real good casters just showing off. This is going to bug me till I figure it out. Cortland 444sl pike/musky taper is red but I doubt that's it.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:00 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I looked up both lines. One is yellow and the other is mint green. I can't find a red or dark reddish orange line in any of the catalogs I have. I keep seeing the red line all over you tube. It's not just casting competitions, it's real good casters just showing off. This is going to bug me till I figure it out. Cortland 444sl pike/musky taper is red but I doubt that's it.
SA makes a special orange Expert Distance line for casting instructors and such. It really helps see the line on almost any background when giving or taking instructions.

Are those really good casters really just showing off or are they simply using the line they practice and/or compete with?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:51 AM
Banned

Some of them are in casting competitions like Rajeff, others are just showing their skills on you tube. The vast majority of them seem to have the same red (or maybe dark orange) line. Where did you find the Orange SA distance line?
Old 08-02-2009, 11:31 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Randy is correct. It is a SA Mastery Expert Distance (competition). Fluroescent orange 120' long. It is a compound taper line with a very long "head". The shooting head on the 6 wt is 70 1/2 feet long and the 5 wt 68 1/2 feet long. In order to cast them well, you need to be carrying 75 feet of line or more in the air.

They are good for greatly magnifying the slightest little flaw in your casting technique. Lots of places carry them in stock. Yagers for one.

cheers,
Jim
Old 02-21-2010, 01:39 PM

zekafly is on a distinguished road

Try with Royal Wulf Triangle Tapet,floating line in Orange.I use it for my demos and clases.Looks good and it can be easely seen.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:39 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned, there is a Mastery Expert Distance competition line that is fluorescent orange and 120 feet long. There was a Sharkskin competition line that was a limited run and not available to the public. It was a Mastery Expert Distance competition line with a Sharkskin coating.

Rio has a competition line called the Rio Gold Tournament line. It meets the AFTMA requirements for a competition line.

MP