The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 04:20 PM

ibff is on a distinguished road
Default Help...hooking own line all of a sudden

A little help for a self-taught caster.

Last year, I all of sudden got in a rut where I was frequently having my leader hook my fly line on my final forward cast when I when I was attempting to make a long shooting cast. It was like the shanks in golf, it all of a sudden started and I kept doing it.

Is there an experience teacher out there who has seen this and can tell me my mistake? I just went fishing a few days ago and I had no problem, but I am not sure why it cropped up that time and I want to be able to fix it if it happens again.

FYI- I was usually double hauling and trying to shooting dry flies as far as possible when it would occur.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Help...hooking own line all of a sudden

I'm about 95% certain a tailing loop is causing your problem.

A tailing loop is caused by applying power too early in the casting stroke, which puts a deep bend in the rod that it recovers from earlier than is ideal. This produces a concave path of the rod tip, and a closed/intersecting loop as the line travels forward through the air.

Here's Tim Rajeff with some instruction on the problem and its remedy-

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:00 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The tailing loop is the most common casting mistake
Most likely it's caused by over powering the forward cast, but it can also be the result of casting 'out of plane' or by using an unbalanced leader
Old 01-20-2011, 08:49 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Yeah, tailing loops. You're talking to an expert. That's all that I threw at casting classes last year, but I never hooked my own line...................until now...............
Old 01-21-2011, 01:09 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Yeah, that happens when you put a hook on your line instead of a strand or two of fluff.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:16 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I had the same problem last trip out.
Now the answer has been revealed, and it makes sense!
I was fishing a larger stream than I normally fish and thinking "power" when I cast. No doubt, I was applying too much power too soon in the forward cast.
Thanks for the video clip - it helped me see my problem.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:33 AM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road

I get the tailing loop blues when I'm trying to double haul a large sopping wet egg sucking leach into a gale force wind. Unlike most folks I fish the east side of Pyramid Lake. That means the prevailing west wind is in my face. When it really starts blowing it's hard work to get out in the lake very far. With the lake all choppy and waves splashing up on my chest and knocking me off balance, it's easy to get out of time with my casting stroke.
I know, there comes a time to call it quits. But it's no fun sitting in the truck either and the wind doesn't seem to bother the fish that much.......IF, I can just get that big ass heavy "fly" out there another 20 feet!

Don't feel too bad if all you snag is your line or leader. I have double hauled that big leach right into my rod tip before under the above conditions.
As a matter of fact, the wind once fouled my cast so badly that the fly swung around and hit me in the face. I knew what was going to happen so because this was one of the very few times I wasn't wearing glasses, I closed my eyes and braced myself for a big hit to the head. Bad on me for not wearing glasses, but good I closed my eyes because the hook caught in my eyelid. Fortunatly, it just barely pricked the skin and I just reached up and carefully removed it from my eyelid.

Just thought I'd pass along that goofy story on myself..............
Old 01-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Yeah, tailing loops. You're talking to an expert. That's all that I threw at casting classes last year, but I never hooked my own line...................until now...............
You probably either straightened up your casting plane, or started curving it the other way.

One can throw a tailing loop without hooking one's line if your casting plane is curved so that the line nearer the rod tip is out of the way as the hook is moving forward.

The combination is a recipe for pretty horrible accuracy (unless you're doing it intentionally, and practice it, ala the "Belgian Cast"), but it will prevent hooking one's line on the forward cast.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:33 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

This is a little off the wall, but I control my tailing loop by thinking about my golf swing.

Overpowering a fly rod and a graphite driver, and/or imparting power too early in the stroke with either of them is disastrous. So, when the dreaded tailing loop appears, if I back off on the power just a bit and make sure to impart power later in the stroke my casts (like my tee shots) go further with less effort and with better accuracy. It's just about letting the club or rod work as they were designed.

...and it sounds suspiciously like what T Rajeff says in that excellent video...

Sounds dumb, I guess, but it does work (for me)...-Mike
Old 01-21-2011, 06:23 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Mike,

The driver off the tee and fly casting are so alike. Too agressive a start with the driver and you slice it 40 yds off the fairway, with the fly rod you get a tailing loop.

Cheers,
Jim