The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 10:41 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Amazing natural caster.

I have been fishing with a friend of mine from the other side of the border. (I live on the US side of the Canadian border) He decided to give fly fishing a try. He came up with an old fly reel and I gave him a cheap old Berkely 7/8 weight rod and an old 8 weight line. He asks me "OK, how do you cast these?" I tell him "10 and 2" and a brief display of casting. Ten minutes later he is taking this junk rod and putting 65' casts out there. He had a few casts I know went over 70'. I have never seen anything like it in my life. I know now how the guy who handed Tiger Woods his first golf club must feel. He was having problems hitting himself with the fly though. I was afraid to have him change anything though. Seriously, you should see this guy cast. Also he was doing this with a single haul. If everyone I showed did this I would be the best instructor on Earth. He is the one and only one however. Have any of you ever seen anything like this before? What would you tell him to do to eliminate the hitting himself problem without wrecking his distance?
Old 06-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazing natural caster.

His casting seems to be where his talent ends. He Hockey taped the grip. He took black magic marker and colored the entire fly line black and then replaced the stripper guide with a size 30 spinning guide. After a couple of days the line still seems Ok, but I had serious concerns over the chemicals in the magic marker reacting badly with the line. I was unable to convince him it was a bad and un-needed idea. (he thinks colored line might scare Bass) He is already able though, to virtually throw the entire fly line. I watched him make a cast with the backing knot 4 or 5 inches out of the reel and shoot everything but the last 4 or 5'. That last 4 or 5' is why he changed the stripper guide. I was not able to talk him out of that either.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:00 PM

Softouch333 will become famous soon enough

Tell him to side arm it a few degrees more and/or keep his rod on plane (thumb strait at the target); his tip is undoubtedly following an oval path if he's whacking himself. Oh yea, remind him to wear a hat and sunglasses when he starts throwing streamers.

Obviously, he is thinking like a fisherman. Let him color up anything he wants. Have him start hitting some targets if he wants to catch fish, though.

Alternatively take him to a casting competition. Might be the next Steve Rajeff.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:22 PM

bakerboy2222 will become famous soon enough

Yea about the oval shaped cast. Get him double hauling and creating tighter loops which cast farther and stay up in the air higher.