The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 09:26 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Snapping Flies Off

I've been having some trouble with snapping flies off on my casts.It seems to happen in a particular small hole that I fish where you don't have a lot of room to cast. I even lost a nice fish after he took the fly but I must have weakened the line by then, I felt awful. I don't seem to have the same problem when I have more room to cast. What am I doing wrong? I'm pretty frustrated over it.
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 05-31-2009, 09:33 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Snapping Flies Off

It is usually caused by not letting the line fully straighten out on the back cast. You could be starting your forecast with a small loop still in your leader. It results in a cracking of the whip effect on the line and has a tendency to pop the fly off. Perhaps you are rushing the cast to avoid snagging foliage behind you. If that is the case I recommend you try roll casting in that hole. Just guessing here.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-01-2009, 05:11 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Davo. What causes the fly to snap off is not waiting long enough for the backcast to straighten out. So it tends to happen in tight quarters when you feel rushed to avoid hanging up in the trees. Another option might be to be to shorten your line to avoid the trees, and then shoot out the additional line you need on the forward cast.

Not that it has anything to do with anything, but a while back I heard a trivia question.

What is the first invention of man to break the sound barrier? (Since there is a give away clue in this thread, I won't insult you with posting an answer.)

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 06-02-2009, 12:48 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Agree with both above... roll or spey casting forms (one handed) sound like a good solution to me.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 06-02-2009, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi troutslayer,

It may also be you are using too light of a tippet for the size of fly. I would try increasing the tippet size along with a better back cast.

You can solve this problem on your lawn. Learn how to make a high back cast to avoid obstructions. The line will follow the rod tip so as you make your back cast raise the tip up behind you. With a little practice you can get a very high angle on your back cast. This is a short distance cast, at least for me, and works very well for low bushes or short trees.

Frank
Old 06-06-2009, 06:50 AM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

I generally use a 5X 9' tippet and use #14 and #16 flies mostly. I went out yesterday and snapped one but I think I know why. But I had a lot more room (except for the trees that ate a few flies) and was consiously waiting for the back cast to extend before I came forward. Seemed to work. Caught a nice 15" brown trout in the Savage River too! Tried for an hour and tried about everything until I finally realized they were taking something under water and I was see ing their back come up. First cast with a PMD Emerger and wham! Thanks for the help!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 06-18-2009, 04:08 PM

jr1964 is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem so I looked it up in Leftys fly casting book. Lefty suggest letting the line straighten out before pushing the cast forward. I have a crappie hole on the Potomac river and I have 0 room to cast. I roll cast and use a bow and arrow cast. The bow and arrow cast is just holding the fly with one hand and the rod with the other hand and putting just enough tension on it to shoot the line out.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:04 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

im no expert but im guessing that its because you are speeding up your cast and not letting it straighten out behind you