The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Events, Fly Tying & Club Events

Fly Fishing Events, Fly Tying & Club Events List fly fishing and fly tying events including shows, conventions, conclaves, seminars, classes, contests, round tables, club meetings, outings, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 04:59 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about
Default Gulf Coast FFF Conclave

Anyone going to the Gulf Coast FFF Conclave in New Braunfels, TX? Will be doing several seminars on Saturday 10 April.

Haven't seen or heard much chatter about the conclave, so just wondered if any folks along the Gulf Coast are planning to attend.

Info: Gulf Coast Council FFF - FFF Gulf Coast Expo 2010

Craig
Old 03-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Gulf Coast FFF Conclave

Thinkin about it, but not sure yet. I've always kinda wanted to go to one, and with it being 30min's up the road it seems like the prime opportunity.

But given the choice, I'd probably still rather fish than talk about it.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:59 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about

We're planning on hitting the Port A/AP area for a couple days before our programs on Sat. Any reports or tips Cliff?

We'll likely camp at Mustang Island SP. Probably fish the Lighthouse lakes area.

Haven't seen many recent reports on line, especially from FF guides, mainly bait guys.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatslandercp View Post
We're planning on hitting the Port A/AP area for a couple days before our programs on Sat. Any reports or tips Cliff?

We'll likely camp at Mustang Island SP. Probably fish the Lighthouse lakes area.

Haven't seen many recent reports on line, especially from FF guides, mainly bait guys.
Should be a great time to hit it up. I'm fishing there (probably) Sunday and I'll post a report. The tides have been extremely low here lately, so the LHL's may not be ideal. I may hit the flats on the other side of the causeway. Other options for your visit are near Shamrock, or further down Mustang Island.

Y'all gonna have kayaks or just be on foot?

Old 03-26-2010, 06:38 PM

We'll be dragging a Mitzi skiff down. Fortunately my fishing buddy is retired and has had time to make sure his boat made it through winter OK and is ready to hit the road. Hopefully it is ready to hit the water as well. Mine has yet to get that level of attention.

If LHL is too low, we'll work the other side of the causeway. I don't have my map in front of me (another thing I need to locate) but we've had decent luck fishing what we call (and may actually be called) bird island, by putting in at that popular canal that almost reaches the road between Port A and Corpus.

I've also done fairly well on reds right at the edge of LHL, just as it drops into the deeper channel water the bait dudes fish. Wonder if that might be worth a look?

Looking forward to your report.

Craig
Old 03-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Well, here it is: you can't do worse than I did. I covered every bit of South Bay (across from the Crab Man Marina) that I could paddle, and then some that was too shallow to float me in the kayak. (tides have been super low) I saw one redfish all day, no tailers and flat wore myself out.

Hopefully we'll have both more water and warmth by the time y'all make it down. If Bird Island doesn't produce, give Steadman's a shot.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:22 PM

Thanks Cliff. Sorry you had poor luck, but you were fishing, while I was trying to arm up after a 45 degree rainy day on Saturday. At least it will be saltwater. My blood saltwater levels are dangerously low these days.

If nothing else, we'll hit the Boiling Pot in Fulton for some fresh shrimp and crawfish. And I won't be at work.

I appreciate the report.

Craig
Old 03-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatslandercp View Post
Thanks Cliff. Sorry you had poor luck, but you were fishing, while I was trying to arm up after a 45 degree rainy day on Saturday. At least it will be saltwater. My blood saltwater levels are dangerously low these days.

If nothing else, we'll hit the Boiling Pot in Fulton for some fresh shrimp and crawfish. And I won't be at work.

I appreciate the report.

Craig
I'm a fan of the Boiling Pot, but there's a very similar place that's out on the island, and just as good by my tongue. THE CRAZY CAJUN RESTAURANT (closed mondays)

Old 03-30-2010, 08:37 PM

We'll check it out. We're pretty frugal, but like to splurge on things we don't often get here in Kansas. But part of the reason my fingers were cold on Saturday was from eating crawfish in that 45 degree weather. We boiled up about 60 pounds, plus about 20 pounds of shrimp with the traditional additions, for a friend's retriever fun trial/party. We've gotten pretty good at it, for a couple of flatlanders.