The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Events, Fly Tying & Club Events

Fly Fishing Events, Fly Tying & Club Events List fly fishing and fly tying events including shows, conventions, conclaves, seminars, classes, contests, round tables, club meetings, outings, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bluedaksi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 06:02 AM

bluedaksi will become famous soon enoughbluedaksi will become famous soon enough
Default Guys (and Girls), Flies, and Pies - Rochester, NY

I’ve been waiting for the next annual Guys, Flies, and Pies since I first heard about it at the 2011 Rochester Sportsman’s Expo last March, where I met Michael Simmons, the event organizer. Michael was tying flies at the Seth Green Society Chapter of Trout Unlimited booth right next to our Western NY Kayak Fishing Association Booth. I had a budding interest in fly tying at the time (my son had beat me to it by a year or so…) and Michael told me he had just begun kayak fishing. He then told me about Guys, Flies, and Pies and invited me to come. My wait is nearly over because IT’S THIS WEEKEND!

Guys, Flies, and Pies is a public event in it’s fifth year running, and is an afternoon and evening of fly tying, demos, door prizes, raffles, and eating all the PIZZA you can eat (hence the “Pies” as in pizza pies…). It promises to be a lot of fun!
Click the image to open in full size.
Here is the pertinent information:

Date: February 18th 2012
Time: 3pm – Midnight
Cost: $12 at the door ($10 if prepaid via PayPal)
Website for more info: http://www.guysfliesandpies.com

Bring your vise and tying materials and join me! NOTE: It’s also not just for guys.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:47 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Guys (and Girls), Flies, and Pies - Rochester, NY

Damn..... wish now that I hadn't already committed to a drive over to the Springfield RV Show. Rochester is a bit further a drive (in the opposite direction), but this event looks like fun!

Can you tell us (me) more about the Western NY Kayak Fishing Association? Is there a similar group further east in NYS? Kayaking otherwise unreachable waters, and watching fish rise (and other wildlife), is one of the things that got me interested in fly-fishing.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-16-2012, 07:03 AM

bluedaksi will become famous soon enoughbluedaksi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
Damn..... wish now that I hadn't already committed to a drive over to the Springfield RV Show. Rochester is a bit further a drive (in the opposite direction), but this event looks like fun!

Can you tell us (me) more about the Western NY Kayak Fishing Association? Is there a similar group further east in NYS? Kayaking otherwise unreachable waters, and watching fish rise (and other wildlife), is one of the things that got me interested in fly-fishing.
Rick - Albany is quite a drive, but you're welcome to join us for kayak fishing over this way any time! The Western NY Kayak Fishing association is a VERY informal group of kayak fishing enthusiasts who occasionally get together for fishing trips and events. There are no dues or "official" membership requirements. If you love to kayak fish and want to help promote and share the sport, that's what we're about. There is a NY Kayak Fishing Association that's active east of you, but I don't have much information about it.

If you change plans for the weekend, let me know and come on over to join us at Guys, Flies, and Pies!

-Paul
Old 02-16-2012, 02:55 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Have fun with the event! If I wasn't out of state for the weekend, I would certainly attend!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dang that sounds like a great event, sure wish I wasn't so far away!

Old 02-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I do enjoy Pizza but am way too far away............................

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Man oh man does that sound like a great event!

Ard if you leave right now you can make it, oh, and stop and pick me and Larry up along the way.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-17-2012, 06:50 AM

Is it tomorrow yet? I can't wait! The weather is setting up nice, so I might even get out to do some fishing before I go.
fire instructor likes this.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:55 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaksi View Post
Is it tomorrow yet? I can't wait! The weather is setting up nice, so I might even get out to do some fishing before I go.
I pushed the "like" button, but I was REALLY looking for the "I'm Jealous" button.... Enjoy the show!!!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky