The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Events, Fly Tying & Club Events

Fly Fishing Events, Fly Tying & Club Events List fly fishing and fly tying events including shows, conventions, conclaves, seminars, classes, contests, round tables, club meetings, outings, etc...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Club Beginners Class

Yesterday was the on-stream class for our club's beginners.
I try and help out with this one-on-one mentoring every year as it's a lot of fun for me as well as helpful to the student. For whatever reason, there was not a lot of volunteers this year so the class had to be split. Half this Saturday, half next.
My student Jessie was barely a beginner, having had a season on his own under his belt and he picked up a rainbow in the first pool we fished. I had barely said "that's a good drift" when he had one on
It went on like that for a couple of hours until I decided that I'd had enough watching and needed to catch a few myself.

It's a shame that we didn't get more mentor volunteers as half the class had to wait. I urge anyone that has the opportunity to help a beginner to do so as the rewards exceed the effort. I just may do it again next week.
Hardyreels, Davo, webrx and 2 others like this.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Club Beginners Class

Good job Rip... you're right ,it's always a great pleasure to mentor beginners
Old 06-18-2012, 05:39 PM

greencc4 is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Club Beginners Class

Hello all, I have been an avid angler for many years and the wife just bought me a really nice fly rod and reel. I am looking for insight or ideas for setting up my outfit. the folks at cabelas were extremely helpfull in line selection. I am now trying the get a fitting leader and tippet so I can get out on the water. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome. Thank you.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:34 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. Give us some details like what kind of an outfit you got size wise etc and what you ate going to fish for and in what kind of water. That will make it easier to give you suggestions as to leader , line and flys.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-19-2012, 08:53 AM

greencc4 is on a distinguished road

Thanks theboz, I ended up getting the Sage ONE in 9 ft, 6 wt with a Lamson Litespeed 2. The bulk of the fishing that I will be doing here in southern Idaho will be lake fishing for small mouth, large mouth and bluegill. I will also be river and stream fishing for trout. Any information you can provide will be appreciated, Thank you again. Looking forward to getting on the water.