The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly fishing FAQs

Fly fishing FAQs Find answers to the some frequently asked fly fishing questions...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 09:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to Tie the Basic Clinch Knot

For those of you that use the clinch knot, here is a quick and easy method to tie the basic clinch knot, by North Platte Fly Shop.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:01 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: How to Tie the Basic Clinch Knot

I wasn't even going to bother watching this, but I'm glad that I did.
That's pretty cool
Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to Tie the Basic Clinch Knot

Had to watch after Rips comment . Definitely cool! I live and die by the improved clinch knot!

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

Best part of his method No Spit!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Had to watch after Rips comment . Definitely cool! I live and die by the improved clinch knot!

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

Best part of his method No Spit!
I used to do the same, but have lost some monster trout over the years, then awhile back I was listening to an Orvis podcast where Tom Rosenbauer was talking about testing knots with some fancy $20k machine they have (it's used mostly for testing rod strenghs). His results were that the improved clinch not is not so improved, and he recommended using the basic clinch knot. YMMV!
theboz likes this.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:59 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I His results were that the improved clinch not is not so improved, and he recommended using the basic clinch knot. YMMV!
I'll agree with that.
It's been my experience that the "improvement" actually makes it more difficult to seat the clinch properly.
It's even worse with a knot like the Trilele.
Having your knot seat tightly so that it don't slip is what's important.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:45 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Agree but disagree! The improved clinch is more difficult to seat properly but if tied properly( checking to see that it is right after tightening ) I have found it to be better. There are exceptions such as heavier lines the extra step seems to bunch up in this case a clinch may be a better choice. Also the stiffness or limpness of the line used plays a roll. Much easier to tie a good improved clinch on thin or limp line. Also when tying the improved I never make the twists by twirling or spinning the loop, I wrap the tag end hand over hand three times and I have never had an improved fail for me! I have had a clinch pull out on occasion. I notice in the video the line is twisted enough to make it ready for seating the knot well and I believe this is a key component in getting the improved or the standard to lock in!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:53 AM

With the basic clinch, the number of turns that you make makes all the difference. And that may be anywhere from 2 1/2 to 10 wraps depending on the amount of flex in the material
Fortunately you can feel the resistance in the mono when it's time to stop.
If this is done right and it seats tight, the knot will not slip. And if there's no slip, there's no need for any "improvement".
And if there's no need for the "improvement" then you should not do it as it can only hinder you from pulling the knot tight in the first place

Now that you mentioned it though, twisting the loop rather than wrapping the tag never worked for me and this may work out to be the same thing....or worse. Time for more experimentation
theboz likes this.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:42 PM

Here's is why I think wrapping in either knot is the way to go as opposed to twisting. When you wrap you are twisting (wrapping) the tag end around a stationary straight line. When you twist you are causing twist not only in the tag end but the main line thus changing the structure of the knot. I'm not much for the scientific or comparison charts on the matter I just know what works for me and if it ain't broke I don't fix it! Both versions have their merits.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:54 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Here's is why I think wrapping in either knot is the way to go as opposed to twisting. When you wrap you are twisting (wrapping) the tag end around a stationary straight line. When you twist you are causing twist not only in the tag end but the main line thus changing the structure of the knot. I'm not much for the scientific or comparison charts on the matter I just know what works for me and if it ain't broke I don't fix it! Both versions have their merits.
I agree, but wonder how much "twist" is actually put in the line (over wrapping) by turning the tag end as demo'd in the vid. I'll keep wrapping. My old fingers can still manage that...

good to look for better ways to do stuff though...

-Mike
theboz likes this.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:49 PM

steeler fan is on a distinguished road

I am new to the site but have been fly fishing for five years. My understanding between the cinch knot and improved cinch knot is that the cinch is better for small diameter tippet lines and the improved cinch knot is better for larger lines. I use the cinch knot 100% of the time while fly fishing and honestly can say that I do not believe I have every lost a fish due to the knot failing while fighting a fish. However, I have had several flies come undone while tying them to the tippet by not tying it correctly. It is very important to check your knot prior to starting fishing. I will also say that I have lost fish by not checking my line after catching steelhead and then had the next fish break the line near the fly. Never the telltale sign of the twisty line from the improper knot. I have practiced this today and think it is worth trying on the stream.