The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly fishing FAQs (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-fishing-faqs/)
-   -   Travel Rods with 6-8 pieces (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-fishing-faqs/321206-travel-rods-6-8-pieces.html)

foolioskie 06-02-2013 08:46 PM

Travel Rods with 6-8 pieces

I'm looking for an 8 wt in this category; one that comes with a warranty. What are some recommendations and issues for these rods?

nick k 06-24-2013 09:32 AM

Re: Travel Rods with 6-8 pieces

Personally I never saw the need for anything more than 4 pieces, especially if the rod is shorter in general. Unless you are trying to fit the rod in a match box, I think 8 is a little unnecessary.

Objectively, one disadvantage to the additional pieces will be the increase in number of ferrules, which will in turn lead to an increase in overall rod weight, and probably stiffness.

williamhj 06-24-2013 02:19 PM

I've had my eye on 5 and 6 piece blanks. Have a 4 pc 2 wt that is small enough to fit in my suitcase, but not a heavier rod. Not my ideal tool, but there are times that it could be nice to have that option. Not sure of rods for sale with that many pieces but I know Batson makes a 5 piece blank and you can find blanks on ebay with even more pieces. Haven't fished them.

nick k 06-24-2013 03:33 PM

Orvis has a line of 7pc rods under the Frequent Flyer name. Here is a link to the 8wt (click). They are $250 and obviously come with the warranty since they are Orvis.

jaybo41 06-24-2013 04:00 PM

Two questions for you:

Why an 8 piece rod?

What's your target species/size flies you intend on throwing with this rod?

Your quest for a 6-8 piece travel rod will be limiting but here are two options other than the Orvis to consider:

LL Bean Double L comes in 8 pieces and with Bean's legendary guarantee.

Double L Classic Travel Series Fly Rod, 7-9 Wt.: Rods | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Or Cabelas has a 6 piece fly rod which I *think* is warrantied for one year. A bunch of folks buy Cabelas rods on the forum and seem to be happy enough with them. Maybe they can confirm the warranty.

Cabela's Stowaway 6 Fly Rods : Cabela's

aggieoutlaw 06-24-2013 06:54 PM

I have a 7 pc March Brown for backpacking. It is actually a very nice performing rod. It isn't perfect but it really casts well and catches fish.

flyfishn28 06-27-2013 08:09 PM

I have tried several travel rods but will not go above 4 pc. The 7 and 8 pc just seem to lose the flyfishing feel to me. I use a GL 3- 4 pc and love it.

bigtone1411 07-06-2013 02:48 PM

I have a March Brown in 7 piece 6 wt. and a Cabelas Stowaway 6 piece in 8wt. I always bring them on family vacations because they are so easy to pack. I have been flyfishing for over 20 years, and I cant tell the difference in either of these rods from a 4 piece. Both have a very nice moderate fast action feel to them. The Cabelas is cheaper and just as nice as the March Brown.

argail 07-29-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foolioskie (Post 561413)
I'm looking for an 8 wt in this category; one that comes with a warranty. What are some recommendations and issues for these rods?

I have this rod: Greys Fly - Products - Flyfishing Rods - Discontinued Rods - Missionary 6
8ft 4wt, strong fast rod, made in Korea...
bought specifically for travel ! rod tube (20.5 inch) can be put right inside the bag, which can be taken on board, without taking into luggage!

wannafish 07-29-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick k (Post 566730)
Orvis has a line of 7pc rods under the Frequent Flyer name. Here is a link to the 8wt (click). They are $250 and obviously come with the warranty since they are Orvis.

These are my choice! I haven't got one but they are on sale for $198.00 right now. With the Orvis name resell won't be a problem either.