The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly fishing FAQs

Fly fishing FAQs Find answers to the some frequently asked fly fishing questions...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 08:46 PM

foolioskie is on a distinguished road
Default Travel Rods with 6-8 pieces

I'm looking for an 8 wt in this category; one that comes with a warranty. What are some recommendations and issues for these rods?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Travel Rods with 6-8 pieces

Personally I never saw the need for anything more than 4 pieces, especially if the rod is shorter in general. Unless you are trying to fit the rod in a match box, I think 8 is a little unnecessary.

Objectively, one disadvantage to the additional pieces will be the increase in number of ferrules, which will in turn lead to an increase in overall rod weight, and probably stiffness.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:19 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I've had my eye on 5 and 6 piece blanks. Have a 4 pc 2 wt that is small enough to fit in my suitcase, but not a heavier rod. Not my ideal tool, but there are times that it could be nice to have that option. Not sure of rods for sale with that many pieces but I know Batson makes a 5 piece blank and you can find blanks on ebay with even more pieces. Haven't fished them.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:33 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Orvis has a line of 7pc rods under the Frequent Flyer name. Here is a link to the 8wt (click). They are $250 and obviously come with the warranty since they are Orvis.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:00 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Two questions for you:

Why an 8 piece rod?

What's your target species/size flies you intend on throwing with this rod?

Your quest for a 6-8 piece travel rod will be limiting but here are two options other than the Orvis to consider:

LL Bean Double L comes in 8 pieces and with Bean's legendary guarantee.

Double L Classic Travel Series Fly Rod, 7-9 Wt.: Rods | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Or Cabelas has a 6 piece fly rod which I *think* is warrantied for one year. A bunch of folks buy Cabelas rods on the forum and seem to be happy enough with them. Maybe they can confirm the warranty.

Cabela's Stowaway 6 Fly Rods : Cabela's
Old 06-24-2013, 06:54 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

I have a 7 pc March Brown for backpacking. It is actually a very nice performing rod. It isn't perfect but it really casts well and catches fish.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:09 PM

flyfishn28 is on a distinguished road

I have tried several travel rods but will not go above 4 pc. The 7 and 8 pc just seem to lose the flyfishing feel to me. I use a GL 3- 4 pc and love it.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:48 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

I have a March Brown in 7 piece 6 wt. and a Cabelas Stowaway 6 piece in 8wt. I always bring them on family vacations because they are so easy to pack. I have been flyfishing for over 20 years, and I cant tell the difference in either of these rods from a 4 piece. Both have a very nice moderate fast action feel to them. The Cabelas is cheaper and just as nice as the March Brown.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:24 AM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolioskie View Post
I'm looking for an 8 wt in this category; one that comes with a warranty. What are some recommendations and issues for these rods?
I have this rod: Greys Fly - Products - Flyfishing Rods - Discontinued Rods - Missionary 6
8ft 4wt, strong fast rod, made in Korea...
bought specifically for travel ! rod tube (20.5 inch) can be put right inside the bag, which can be taken on board, without taking into luggage!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:43 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Orvis has a line of 7pc rods under the Frequent Flyer name. Here is a link to the 8wt (click). They are $250 and obviously come with the warranty since they are Orvis.
These are my choice! I haven't got one but they are on sale for $198.00 right now. With the Orvis name resell won't be a problem either.
utah kelly likes this.