The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly fishing FAQs

Fly fishing FAQs Find answers to the some frequently asked fly fishing questions...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2015, 04:03 PM

limbo2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is a good low cost outfit for a beginner

Thanks folks. I will try my local shop, but last time I visited the guy tried to sell me all top of the line equipment, and was rather a snob. I'm a Delaware River Rat (PA, NJ, NY), been using spinning gear all my life. I plan to go for browns on the Upper Delaware and probably more frequently smallmouth in the warm water river section further downstream. I have a custom made 6 wt fly rod and hope it will serve to get me started. I appreciate your replies very much!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2015, 04:40 PM

horsehead is just really nicehorsehead is just really nicehorsehead is just really nicehorsehead is just really nicehorsehead is just really nice

Seriously, check out Sierra trading post. Sign up for their email and you'll get coupons galore. The 6wt will serve you very well for both Browns and smallies. You could pick from several different lines and reels on STP right now and have a perfectly functional outfit with your custom rod.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:17 PM

nevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant future

Assuming your rod and reel came spooled up, all you REALLY need is leaders, tippet, and flies. If you are thinking of wading cold water, waders and boots will probably be needed as well. Also, get a full brimmed hat and a pair of glasses.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:33 PM

limbo2 is on a distinguished road

Excellent! I was worried that a 6 wt might be too light for rivers. I will sign up on Sierra. The leaders, tippet and flies I'll sort out.. I have a nice fishing kayak as well as all of my wading gear from work. Now off to practice casting... thank you all very much.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:47 PM

jayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo2 View Post
Thanks folks. I will try my local shop, but last time I visited the guy tried to sell me all top of the line equipment, and was rather a snob. I'm a Delaware River Rat (PA, NJ, NY), been using spinning gear all my life. I plan to go for browns on the Upper Delaware and probably more frequently smallmouth in the warm water river section further downstream. I have a custom made 6 wt fly rod and hope it will serve to get me started. I appreciate your replies very much!

Are there any other shops in the area? If so, go try them.

It never ceases to amaze me when you hear of shops like that. In the end, they are only hurting themselves with that attitude.
geordie41 likes this.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:24 PM

nevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo2 View Post
Excellent! I was worried that a 6 wt might be too light for rivers. I will sign up on Sierra. The leaders, tippet and flies I'll sort out.. I have a nice fishing kayak as well as all of my wading gear from work. Now off to practice casting... thank you all very much.

6wt would be fine for trout and smallmouth.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:42 AM

yellowbird2 will become famous soon enoughyellowbird2 will become famous soon enough

maybe someone knows of a current sale for a most basic needs for trout
Thanks
Old 04-23-2017, 04:11 PM

gpwhitejr is on a distinguished road

I'm a bargain hunter too. I kept an eye on Amazon and got a Fenwick Aetos 6-weight for $120. I got an LL Bean Quest 2 reel (around $50) for it. And then one day I was Christmas shopping for my wife in an LL Bean store in NH, and I peeked in a bargain bin they had and got an SA Sharkwave GPX line for $30 (I got my wife some gaiters for XC skiing). So that is my bass fishing setup now (I liked the reel enough that I bought another one and put a sinking line on it). I haven't caught much with it yet but the Aetos/Sharkwave casts like a rocket.
ejsell likes this.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:55 PM

yellowbird2 will become famous soon enoughyellowbird2 will become famous soon enough

thanks good idea