The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly fishing FAQs (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-fishing-faqs/)
-   -   What is a good low cost outfit for a beginner (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-fishing-faqs/3255-what-good-low-cost-outfit-beginner.html)

Frank Whiton 02-04-2008 03:52 PM

What is a good low cost outfit for a beginner

The following Rods, Reels and Outfits are equipment that are known to the Moderators and you can expect good performance. The Outfits are very good choices if you want to see what fly fishing is all about and don't want to spend a lot of money. If the new fly fisher knows this is going to be his sport, then a little higher priced Rod, Reel and Fly Line would be a good investment. New Fly Fishers are encouraged to take lessons before buying a setup. This will give you more insight into what setup will fit your needs the best.

Big Cliff's Pick

1. Fly Rod:TFO NXT Outfits fly fishing gear (the 9' 5/6wt version)
2. Fly Reel:TFO NXT Outfits fly fishing gear (comes with above combo)
3. Fly Line:TFO NXT Outfits fly fishing gear (comes with above combo)
4. Estimated Cost: $174.95

Forum Fly Shop Pick

1. Fly Rod:
2. Fly Reel
3. Fly Line
4. Estimated Cost:

Frank's Pick

1. Fly Rod: TFO 5wt, 9' length. $149.95, Redington Red.Fly 2, 9' 5wt. $99.00
2. Fly Reel: Lamson Konic $129, Redington Rise 5/6 $159
3. Fly Line: RIO Selective Trout II WF-Floating $65, SA Mastery WF-Floating $65
4. Estimated Cost: $293 to $374, Based on equipment selected.
5. Fly Rod and Reel Combinations. $99 to $500. Based on Combination selected.

Joni's Pick

1. Fly Rod: Sage Launch 9' 5 weight 2 pc. $199. 4 pc. $225
2. Fly Reel: Lamson Konic 2 $129.
3. Fly Line: Rio Selective Trout $64.
4. Estimated Cost: $375. to $425

Mark's Pick

1. Fly Rod:
2. Fly Reel:
3. Fly Line:
4. Estimated Cost:

limbo2 10-10-2015 08:36 PM

Re: What is a good low cost outfit for a beginner

Hi, I'm new to fly fishing and to this forum though I've been a river biologist for over 30 years. I was going over my gear (won a 6 wt rod & reel combo at a conference), and am looking for a basic checklist of good quality but inexpensive basics for Delaware River trout and bass. This looked like a great post, but it's over 7 years old now.

Can you update your selections for me? Thanks!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Hardyreels 10-10-2015 09:51 PM

Perhaps we needed to have a look at this thread before now, to get some pointers for current gear selections just start a thread asking for suggestions. I'm sure the fellows will line you out quickly.

Ard

limbo2 10-11-2015 10:37 AM

Thank you. I looked around some more and found quite a bit. Be nice to have a current list of recommendations in the FAQ section for all of us newbies.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

ts47 10-11-2015 11:17 AM

One thing we've just figured out is the Cabelas branded rods have reduced their warranty to only one year from the date of purchase. This is one of the worst warranties for fly rods. This only affects Cabelas branded rods, not rods Cabelas sells made by other manufacturers.

Another company to consider in place of Cabelas branded rods is LL Bean.

james w 3 3 10-11-2015 11:37 AM

When I'm posed this question by a beginner I tell them the very best course of action is to go to my favorite local shop. They'll fix you up, AND for free throw in an all day beginners class including casting instruction. I'm very uncomfortable recommending anything without knowing a lot about the person's experience and expectations. The shop I send them to is very very good at this.

If you're going to put together a recommendation table you need to break it down by what they're going to fish for and where. Wow, that's going to be a lot of work. :icon_conf

barham 10-11-2015 02:04 PM

reddington crosswater rod, reel, line, case, etc - around $150.00

horsehead 10-11-2015 02:18 PM

Sierra Trading Post had a TON of lines on sale right now, better than anything you'll find in a "all in one" setup, and they have some pretty good deals on reels and rods as well. That is, if you know what you're looking for...

jayr 10-11-2015 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james w 3 3 (Post 787549)
When I'm posed this question by a beginner I tell them the very best course of action is to go to my favorite local shop. They'll fix you up, AND for free throw in an all day beginners class including casting instruction. I'm very uncomfortable recommending anything without knowing a lot about the person's experience and expectations. The shop I send them to is very very good at this.

If you're going to put together a recommendation table you need to break it down by what they're going to fish for and where. Wow, that's going to be a lot of work. :icon_conf

Well said.

There are so many other issues to consider on the "best" outfit. Where will the new guy fish? What size streams, fish, etc.

One thing that will turn a newbie off is frustration. Fly fishing is a very patient pursuit, IMHO.

Find a local shop and go from there, after all, they have a vested interest in helping and furthering your interest. A customer who continues to fish will continue to buy.......

ezduzit 10-11-2015 02:38 PM

To the free rod and reel you'll want to add a closet full of equipment, like wading gear, net, etc. You might as well order one of Hairwing's fly assortments, too. :)