The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly fishing FAQs

Fly fishing FAQs Find answers to the some frequently asked fly fishing questions...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 08:04 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Rod and reel for starting out

look at allen tackle. top notch gear for sure
the ats rods and ats reels would be a great choice.
Allen Fly Fishing

casey
mojo likes this.

ARFE
Old 09-27-2013, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

If there is an Orvis dealer close stop and see what they can do for you. They may also have casting clinics and that would be a huge help before going on a trip.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-02-2013, 08:53 AM

double d is on a distinguished road

I would also like to add that you might want to take a 4 hour class on fly fishing, otherwise, good advice on rod and reels for starting out in fly fishing.

"It is ourselves that we conquer, not the mountain." Sir Edmund Hillary, 1959
Old 10-02-2013, 08:58 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

you'd be hard pushed to find a better rod than the redington CT at $75 for starting out.

Get them while you can. Cabelas have them.
As for reel, Orvis are pretty good.
Eunan.

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-02-2013, 09:32 AM

barham will become famous soon enough

I would check out the Redington Crosswater sets made up of rod, reel and line for less than $150.00. I have many of the above but the CW rod and reel is still not bad. After these, without too much of an investment, you can decide if you want to invest more and still have a workable backup set.
barham
Old 10-02-2013, 07:01 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Great medium rod for the money Compass Rod Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store

ATS reel- ATS Reel Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store

If you're a member here you get a discount.(I think you still do)
And you can't beat the service.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I ahve taken newbies out on the river and mind you, my opinion, but many of the people that have never fished did indeed feel a difference. To me, the Redington Crosswater and the TFO Professional are very (for lack of a better word) clubby feeling and yes, I do own both.
I agree with Mojo, the Compass rod is a nice smooth medium action (much like the Professional) but light to the hand and a nice snappiness when roll casting.
If I had it all to do over, I would have a lot more money for fly line, because I would buy that Compass and the ATS reel.

I will also add, the action of this rod did help the newbies FEEL the load up. Also slowed them down for smoother casts.

Just my opinion. ;-)
Old 10-02-2013, 07:13 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Hi Chad .
The only thing I'd like to add as the other guys have covered it quite well is to look on Ebay where you might pick up some Reels & Rods even though things are now getting more expensive since all The business people have flooded it.
Brian.