The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly fishing FAQs

Fly fishing FAQs Find answers to the some frequently asked fly fishing questions...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 11:15 AM

cnaples is on a distinguished road
Default Rod and reel for starting out

My son and I have decided to start fly fishing. I've be long range fishing out of San Diego for 20 years and wanted to try something different. Plus we love camping in the Sierras. We have a trip booked to Hot Creek Ranch Mammoth in May and Gardiner Montana in July next year. Can anyone direct us to good inexpensive brands for rods and reels? Dry fly mostly so probably 4 or 5wt. Any advice would be great!

Thanks so much!
Chad
Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: Rod and reel for starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaples View Post
My son and I have decided to start fly fishing. I've be long range fishing out of San Diego for 20 years and wanted to try something different. Plus we love camping in the Sierras. We have a trip booked to Hot Creek Ranch Mammoth in May and Gardiner Montana in July next year. Can anyone direct us to good inexpensive brands for rods and reels? Dry fly mostly so probably 4 or 5wt. Any advice would be great!

Thanks so much!
Chad
Welcome to the forum.

What is your definition of inexpensive? Your suggestions will be all over the place if you don't give some kind of ceiling to what you are willing to invest.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:46 AM

Great point!

Reel: $100 or less

Rod: $200 or less

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2013, 12:11 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

There are lots of choices but one reel you could start out with is this one at $99.

TFO makes several rod in your price range. They are not made in the USA but are quality rods with good actions and an awesome warranty. I use one all the time.

Like I said there are a gozillion choices out there but I believe you would enjoy this one. Others will have great advice as well.
yonder and rickr like this.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:49 PM

Thanks Mike!
Old 08-27-2013, 04:09 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

surf the net for beginner fly rod outfits, can look at bps and cabelas for starters, and go from there. Not recommending any from there, but there are several combos offered by both, and then you can search for comments about the ones that interest you here as some members have 'em or have used 'em. I've went thru this exercise earlier this year, and that's what I did. I got a Reddington Clearwater combo setup, a Echo Solo (?) beginner setup and made one up on my own just due to the price of the rod (TFO for about $70 and a Orvis reel for $80 + line and backing). I like all three, the TFO the least at first but its coming around, and gets out of the doghouse on a regular basis now. All are 8'6" 5 wts, each have their own quirks and strong points. GL
oarfish and yonder like this.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:12 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Call Cabelas and talk to them about what your needs are, they have great kits with good equipment that will get you started and won't break the bank, remember your just getting started.

Rick

P.S. Welcome to the forum!
yonder likes this.

Last edited by oarfish; 08-27-2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Added content.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:47 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

I'd check out Cabela's for a deal.
yonder likes this.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:18 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
I'd check out Cabela's for a deal.
I purchased a couple of their 'all in' combo's for back up rods and was more that pleased with what I got for my dimes. 'All in' means (save for the fly) everything comes with the kit. Rod, reel, line, backing, and leader. Just have to string it all together, add fly and fish.

Fred
mridenour and yonder like this.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Business Member

flyfishusa is on a distinguished road

TFO makes quite a few rods in this price range and so does Echo. As for reels I like the Echo Ion.