The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly fishing FAQs

Fly fishing FAQs Find answers to the some frequently asked fly fishing questions...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 06:40 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: How do you fish a wolly booger?

Planet: That seal bugger appears as though it would be prone to fouling given the longer length of the marabou tail.

I fish streamers more than any other pattern in both FW and SW and get totally irate with fouling patterns!!! I refuse to tolerate even occasional fouling .

I won't even tolerate trimming tails on the water!

What's your experience with that longer tail?
Old 10-05-2013, 05:46 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Fish it any way that you can think of. I have caught fish on them while I wasn't fishing them, with the rod tucked under my arm putting on mosquito spray or talking on the walkie with my fishing buddy about when we were going to eat lunch. Maybe the question should be:

How don't you fish a wooly bugger?
Old 10-05-2013, 05:53 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
Fish it any way that you can think of. I have caught fish on them while I wasn't fishing them, with the rod tucked under my arm putting on mosquito spray or talking on the walkie with my fishing buddy about when we were going to eat lunch. Maybe the question should be:

How don't you fish a wooly bugger?
Or how do you spell it.

As mentioned briefly above, a Wooly also works as a jig.
I fish them in deep plunge pools (fast water) with a split shot. Sometimes it takes a pretty big weight; other times just tiny one. Usually I try the split shot close to the fly, because it's easier to work. But I try it 6-8" up the line if at first I don't succeed.

Click the image to open in full size.
mridenour likes this.

Last edited by chechem; 10-10-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:09 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

I've had really good luck fishing Woolly Buggers with a Zebra Midge tied on. I call it the depth charge. The article linked also provides some good info.

Fishing Tandem Flies: Other Combinations | MidCurrent
Old 10-08-2013, 12:31 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think there is a wrong way to fish a Bugger other than leaving it in your fly box!
shotgunfly likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-09-2013, 10:52 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

Woolley Buggers get thrown up and then I let her slide down stream keeping the line tight. I will then strip the fly in a various twitch/strength/speeds. I also like to dead drift Woolley Buggers. The maribou gives the fly tons of life and a pulsating motion.

I like to throw hoopers so they land hard and then drift them downstream with a couple twitches. I have also had success with larger fish taking a drowned hopper on the drift.

Hope that helps,
Randy
Old 10-09-2013, 11:34 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

3 methods have worked for me, listed in order of most to least productive:

1. Across or down/across, throw out some line to give the bugger time to drop, follow it with rod tip facing down toward water, just as line starts to tighten up start a retrieve. Vary the speed of the strips and length and find what works. Trout around here will follow the fly down and usually take it on the up strip.

2. Cast up stream, maybe even with a small weight 6-10" above it with indicator above that, basically drifting it like a nymph. I've even cut the tails off and had better success on high water stained days this way.

3. Casting up stream and ripping it down faster than the water speed. I get a lot of chases with this method but fewer hookups than the ones above.

It's such a versatile fly that you can't go wrong at least trying it.

C

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 10-28-2013, 04:52 PM

flymoron is on a distinguished road

i dont think there is a wrong way as long as it is moving
Old 10-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

A definite "go to" on stillwaters, but rivers is straight out and strip back upstream after it has run it's course.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:43 AM

802flyfish will become famous soon enough

Has anyone tried tieing two wolly buggers on the same tippet to increase your chances ?