The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly fishing FAQs

Fly fishing FAQs Find answers to the some frequently asked fly fishing questions...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 10:19 PM

pjosh6 is on a distinguished road
Default How do you fish a wolly booger?

Just curious how guys are fishing wolly boogers and hoppers.. Last few times i went out i tried to fish them but not sure how to use them.. Dead drift? Little skipping action like a jig? Others?

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2
busbus likes this.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:42 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How do you fish a wolly booger?

Not sure what you are fishing for, but buggers are pretty versatile. If heavily weighted they can serve as a jig. Less weight and they swim nicely with a twitch of the rod or in current.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:49 PM

Yeah sorry... Fishing for trout in rivers and streams Colorado..

Old 10-03-2013, 10:56 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

I fish for trout mostly in smaller waters. Two techniques I have found to be most productive are "Keep Away" and sort of a wet fly swing or tensioned dead drift with sudden twitches and random brief moments of slack - sort of like something following the current looking for food.

"Keep Away" is blind fishing. Present the buggger sort of close to some kind of structure, let the fly drift in a little closer (giving it time to sink), then strip it back it and make it swim like it is swimming for it's life. (Trout swim a lot faster than I can strip line.) Sort of a variant in "induced take'.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:04 PM

Okay..ill give those patterns a try... I have tried to fish them when everything seems to slow down and dont really have any luck... Could be presentation or size i guess..

Old 10-03-2013, 11:13 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Give them a chance most everytime you fish. I found black buggers productive in muddy water, when nobody around me was catching anything (including live bait). Got that advice here just a few weeks ago.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:31 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Definitely swinging down stream. Also, in fast water casting straight upstream, and slapping the bugger into the water. (I'm trying for a reaction strike.)

Randy
Old 10-04-2013, 09:44 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

FYI...

Fishing Woolly Buggers | MidCurrent

My favorite pattern for the Eastern Sierras is Denny Rickard's Seal Bugger...I use them in moving and still water:

Click the image to open in full size.

Some of the color variations I use...

Seal Bugger

I use the SA Multi-tip lines and a leader no longer than 48"...up or down stream, pump, twitch, slow retrieve, fast retrieve...whatever works

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Last edited by planettrout; 10-04-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:53 AM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

How does one fish a bugger? Any way you want... Strip it. Drift it. High stick it. Swing it. It's the do everything fly.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:42 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
How does one fish a bugger? Any way you want... Strip it. Drift it. High stick it. Swing it. It's the do everything fly.
Yes. All that.

Plus, you can drop it into a small space in a branch jam just like a worm.