The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly fishing FAQs

Fly fishing FAQs Find answers to the some frequently asked fly fishing questions...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 3 Post By Bigfly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 02:38 AM

ethiepeeps is on a distinguished road
Default Keep missing river brownies

Hi All

I'm new to the form and only been fly fishing for 12 months but already clocked up hundreds of hours on the reservoirs. Last year I got some waders and went into our local shallow river Almond' Livingston West lothian Scotland which as it turns out is loaded with 1/2 lb browns. I had offer-after-offer all day but never landed or even hooked one! I was using s18 river drys with the whole fly Ginked. Someone said the trout were flicking the fly to drown it and since I had fully Ginked the fly it did not sink hence the trout ignored it.

Thoughts?
Old 01-21-2014, 07:46 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keep missing river brownies

Welcome to the forum! From your description I'm not sure what is going on. On small trout they can hit your fly and spit it out extremely fast, but that usually isn't the case with larger fish, they tend to be a little more deliberate, but maybe that is the issue. If it is you should be able to connect by keeping as much slack out of the line as possible, also keep your rod tip low to the water, that will also help keep as much slack out of the line as possible and try to be really quick with the hook set. Remember, the fish are pointed up stream so you want to hook set in the down stream direction if possible, so think about that before the fish strikes. If that doesn't work, then I would change your rig up to a dry/dropper rig, maybe use a soft hackle on your dropper to see if the trout will go for the dropper versus the dry. Maybe some of the other members have some additional help. Best of luck!

Larry
imxer and milt spawn like this.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:11 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

According to NZ tradition........(or the Brits)
You are supposed to say, "God save the Queen." before you set.....on a big Brown.
A big mouth and a small fly means you pull it away.....Let them eat it!
I don't say it here (Truckee), but I do pause before I put the hammer down.
In addition, I set with the current...downstream, low, and towards shore.
(Like Larry said)
The vertical set often takes the fly away. (Especially when nymphing.)
Downstream puts it right in the corner of their mouth.......
It took me a few years to learn this set (or un-learn the vertical "dryfly" set.).
But my personal stats have improved because of the change, clients too.

A dropper would help if they are really eating subsurface....
I don't just keep fishing if what I'm doing isn't working, I'd keep changing it up.
Good luck with those Browns!

Jim
mcnerney, milt spawn and cab like this.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:03 AM

sterling woodsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Welcome to the forum! From your description I'm not sure what is going on. On small trout they can hit your fly and spit it out extremely fast, but that usually isn't the case with larger fish, they tend to be a little more deliberate, but maybe that is the issue. If it is you should be able to connect by keeping as much slack out of the line as possible, also keep your rod tip low to the water, that will also help keep as much slack out of the line as possible and try to be really quick with the hook set. Remember, the fish are pointed up stream so you want to hook set in the down stream direction if possible, so think about that before the fish strikes. If that doesn't work, then I would change your rig up to a dry/dropper rig, maybe use a soft hackle on your dropper to see if the trout will go for the dropper versus the dry. Maybe some of the other members have some additional help. Best of luck!

Larry
I've only landed one brown but I have landed quite a few rainbows. I cast upstream alot so I'm setting in the downstream direction anyway but you do have to be quick because they can take it and spit it out in the blink of an eye. and setting upstream you can pull it out of their mouth.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:45 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
According to NZ tradition........(or the Brits)
You are supposed to say, "God save the Queen." before you set.....on a big Brown.
A big mouth and a small fly means you pull it away.....Let them eat it!
I don't say it here (Truckee), but I do pause before I put the hammer down.
In addition, I set with the current...downstream, low, and towards shore.
(Like Larry said)
The vertical set often takes the fly away. (Especially when nymphing.)
Downstream puts it right in the corner of their mouth.......
It took me a few years to learn this set (or un-learn the vertical "dryfly" set.).
But my personal stats have improved because of the change, clients too.

A dropper would help if they are really eating subsurface....
I don't just keep fishing if what I'm doing isn't working, I'd keep changing it up.
Good luck with those Browns!

Jim

^^^^ This!

I still have problems yanking the fly out of their mouths! It's tough to delay the hookset when they're slapping dries!

CAB
Old 02-09-2014, 08:19 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

tie a size 16 bead head prince on 16" back from your fly and slowly retrieve it.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:39 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

You could also be getting refusals. The fish goes for the fly and rejects it at the last second. His change of direction will cause a boil or splash that can look like a rise. Be sure your fly is a good replica of the naturals. I would think if they were taking the fly and you were missing them, you would get lucky once or twice, or at least get a brief hookup. You may also want to try a fly that sits lower in the water, like parachute pattern.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:41 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

try not using gink and let the fly sink, wait for the second take and set the hook. works for me.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..