The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly fishing FAQs

Fly fishing FAQs Find answers to the some frequently asked fly fishing questions...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 11:37 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: beginner confusion on how to properly use leader and tippet

There is one other viable option: Furled Leaders. I even use them on my light 2handers for trout fishing.

To over simplify this a Furled leader is a tapered leader made up of 'woven' light leader material. A proper one will have a 2 or 3 'mm' ring at the end that you attach your tippet of choice. These come in different lengths and with your rod my guess is a five or 6 footer would adequate. Furled leaders are also 'built' with a given rod weight in mind so don't 'just buy one.'

It takes a heck of a lot of casting/abuse to ware one of these out and with the tippet ring you just clip off your added leader and put on a new section.

Fred

Almost forgot: They are not expensive at all.
zildjian likes this.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:52 PM

802flyfish will become famous soon enough

I've fairly interested in the furled leaders . Mostly interested in the ultimate dry leader. What are the cons or downside or furled leaders for dry flies? What happens if you want to do dry and wet flies? I really want to give it a try but I would like to know exactly what I'm getting into before I invest in it . I see that you have to apply a wax everyday you fish to keep it afloat, sometimes coating it multiples times a day? I thought if you apply the wax when wet, it wont be as effective as compared when it's completely dry.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:05 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: beginner confusion on how to properly use leader and tippet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802flyfish View Post
I've fairly interested in the furled leaders . Mostly interested in the ultimate dry leader. What are the cons or downside or furled leaders for dry flies? What happens if you want to do dry and wet flies? I really want to give it a try but I would like to know exactly what I'm getting into before I invest in it . I see that you have to apply a wax everyday you fish to keep it afloat, sometimes coating it multiples times a day? I thought if you apply the wax when wet, it wont be as effective as compared when it's completely dry.
I'm in a chrugie mood so take this with a grain of salt. What the heck is an "ultimate dry leader?" In my old book that would be a lady in her '30's or early 40's in a skimpy two piece bathing suit walking down the beach. I'll leave out references to 'flies' (my pant zipper) as that could get me banned, and I have already been 'warned.'

Note to self: Yellow Labs are a great introduction tool.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:55 AM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

hey Drummer, welcome to the forum. Buy yourself a copy of The Curtis Creek Manifesto. It is the best book for new fly fishers. I read my twice a year. You will be glad you bought it. Cheers!

Paul
Old 04-23-2014, 02:51 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Yeah really drummer -- I prefer Paiste signature, dark-crisp hi-hats, but I hear you
Old 04-30-2014, 03:52 PM

lil_ol_angler_me is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I disagree. Using the search function allows a guy to see if he can find an answer on his own. Internet searches are also useful tools. After doing 5 minutes (tops) of research one can generally answer their own question. If not, then ask away.

It's not new dialog. It's the same dialog over and over.

Suggesting that a person be self sufficient enough to invest a few minutes to look for an answer on their own is not out of line.
I heartily agree with the investing a few minutes in a search, I quit another forum (shooting) because everytime I would post some info I would get a load of "where's the link....give us the URL" anyone with one functioning eye and one non broken finger could have found it in less than two minutes, and ya know? if you REALLY WANT to know more you'll invest those two minutes, heck I found a LOAD of info on this site about furled leaders just by searching one word, then I asked a few PERTINENT questions and had what I needed / wanted in short order

search away...
Old 09-08-2014, 10:16 PM

userx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhist_palm View Post
I think every question has been asked more them once, given this response we should just shut the forum down and archive it

then everyone could just search it with out new dialog

it will be great

not really an excellent response to a new guy

Hear Hear. If not for new posters sometimes posting an occasional question that may have been asked more than 3 times in the history of a forum it would be just an archive. Couldn't agree more.