The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly fishing FAQs

Fly fishing FAQs Find answers to the some frequently asked fly fishing questions...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 09:10 AM

zildjian is on a distinguished road
Default beginner confusion on how to properly use leader and tippet

I just bought my first fly rod and reel this past month, and only been practicing casting out in my backyard with egg yarn. i purchased a Sage Approach 590-4. It's a 5 weight, 9' medium power, fast action paired with a sage 1850 series reel. The owner of the fly shop I purchased my setup from put my line on my spool with his machine. He first added Backing, fly line, then leader. Here's what my reel calls for and what he put on for me.
(-9' 4x - 100 #20) im assuming the 9' 4x is my tapered leader and the backing is 100' of #20lb nylon? also for my fly line he used (Rio Gold WF5F) tapered 5 weight float line.

My question is how do I properly use my leader and tippet material? I purchased 4x, 5x, and 6x tippet in both mono and fluorocarbon. Since my leader tapers to 4x I wasn't sure how to tie on flies. My leader is 9' and tapers to 4x, do I use all 9' and tie on 1' of tippet, then tie on fly? Or do I tie directly to leader? Do I cut down my leader at all or use all 9'? Also, how to I know when my leader is to short and need to tie a brand new leader?

thank you guys in advance,
-nick
Old 04-21-2014, 09:48 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: beginner confusion on how to properly use leader and tippet

Go to the second post on Pointers

Notice that the same question was asked just 2 days ago. Use the search function

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-21-2014, 09:52 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Don't overthink things Nick -- tippet and leader are just pieces of fishing line, usually with the tippet being thinner and tied to the end of the "leader".

If you want, you could tie a 6-7' length of straight 6-pound mono to your fly line which would act as both leader and tippet, and you could catch plenty of sunfish all day with it and never knowing that there's any other way.

Most folks prefer tapered leaders because the fatter "butt" end helps transmit the unrolling energy better and it helps to "turn over" the tippet and fly at the end.

Often, I use a butt section of 10 pound mono and tie a 3-4' piece of whatever tippet I'm using at the time....often 5x for trout, or maybe just 4-6 pound mono (2x - 4x) for trout, or sunfish, or bass, etc.

Some bass guys attach a 6-8' piece of 20-pound mono to their fly line and fish that to bass in heavy cover.

That's really about it. You can certainly catch fish on many, many types of leaders -- everyone has their preference.
zildjian likes this.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:01 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Welcome to fly fishing !!!

"My question is how do I properly use my leader and tippet material? I purchased 4x, 5x, and 6x tippet in both mono and fluorocarbon. Since my leader tapers to 4x I wasn't sure how to tie on flies. My leader is 9' and tapers to 4x, do I use all 9' and tie on 1' of tippet, then tie on fly? Or do I tie directly to leader? Do I cut down my leader at all or use all 9'? Also, how to I know when my leader is to short and need to tie a brand new leader? "

Tippet material is attached to your leader. For a 9' leader, 5x is what goes on next. Use a knot of choice for this purpose. (I use a tippet ring at the end of my leader and attach 18' - 36" of tippet material with a Uni knot). The leader and tippet size to be used is determined by fly size...see this chart for a general rule:

http://www.indiana-flyfishing.com/_i...ppet-chart.jpg

I use all of the leader sizes on that chart for fishing different size patterns...

For information on nymphing set-ups, see this recent thread which contains a bunch of good information:

Nymphing fast water?

Finally, this is a selection of leaders and their lengths from Rio...for someone who is beginning, I'd say stick with 7 1/2' - 9' until there is a reasonable ability to get the casting down..

Powerflex Trout Leader - Freshwater Fly Fishing Leaders | RIO

Practice on water and go catch a fish !

PT/TB
zildjian likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 04-21-2014, 10:04 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Notice that the same question was asked just 2 days ago. Use the search function
I think every question has been asked more them once, given this response we should just shut the forum down and archive it

then everyone could just search it with out new dialog

it will be great

not really an excellent response to a new guy

fredaevans, jimp and zildjian like this.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:31 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhist_palm View Post
I think every question has been asked more them once, given this response we should just shut the forum down and archive it

then everyone could just search it with out new dialog

it will be great

not really an excellent response to a new guy

I disagree. Using the search function allows a guy to see if he can find an answer on his own. Internet searches are also useful tools. After doing 5 minutes (tops) of research one can generally answer their own question. If not, then ask away.

It's not new dialog. It's the same dialog over and over.

Suggesting that a person be self sufficient enough to invest a few minutes to look for an answer on their own is not out of line.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:43 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

honestly if that the response i got in my first few posts i might not ask another question here

in fact that should be the new standard answer to everything

"use the search function"

thank god im not here searching for answers
Old 04-21-2014, 10:58 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Lol...you know, I just looked 2/3 of the way down the page on the FAQ forum and there was this:

Is the tippet and leader the same thing?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Lol...you know, I just looked 2/3 of the way down the page on the FAQ forum and there was this:

Is the tippet and leader the same thing?
your not gonna convince me

the guy is a brand new member, couldnt your furnish the link and leave the last comment out

or say your new to fly fishing i hope this helps
Sep, rockriver and zildjian like this.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:04 AM

zildjian is on a distinguished road

my apologies guys. thank you for all the information
-nick