The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly fishing FAQs

Fly fishing FAQs Find answers to the some frequently asked fly fishing questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2014, 07:56 PM

hantke is on a distinguished road
Default New guy questions

-Feel free to skip down to the "Post Added" section, I believe I answered my own question already-
So i've read a few books on the subject (though most were about catching the fish (not really my problem as i've been spin casting for years) except for the curtis creek manifesto. I've had some not so great luck with fly fishing at the local pond (each of us spin casting averages around 5-10 catches / hour in the evening) so i got frustrated after catching 3 all day, swapped reels, and did my thing.

Recently i've been looking closer into fly fishing and i believe i found my mistake, on a reel you should have Backing -> Fly line -> Leader -> Tippet -> lure, correct?
I've been fishing with Backing -> Fly line -> 8-12" Tippet -> Lure, probably scaring everything but the dumbest of fish away.

So my question is, what do you guys use for length of Leeder? Should I just go get a reel of Leeder and cut it to 9' and use this?

I was also curious on the tippets, going from 6 to 2 lbs doesn't seem like it will have much of a strength to catch a 8-12" fish out of the river, any suggestions?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I haven't been in contact with any fly fishers lately and I would like to be setup properly this summer.

So far I've found that I should have about a 4 foot tipper on my leader (DANG! never would have thought that, I assumed it would hinder casting abilities!)

I have the Tippet Chart here:
What size tippet do I use?
Now to find the appropriate sized tippet for what i need.

Tippet Length / Where to Begin?
Pointers

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

It's amazing what the search function can accomplish now-a-days.

I've found out that many people have up to 100FT of backing (I've never spooled mine out, it came with the rod / reel kit i bought) than the fly line, then 7.5-9 Feet of leader then another 24-96" or 2-4 feet of tippet.

Looks like i'm a slacker now, time to get back to the store and use a properly setup combo and see what happens.

While I'm Online:

There was also a thing stating that there were free E-Books when you register with the site, are those things that may be helpful? if so, does anybody know where to download them from?

-and-

Does anybody have any suggestions regarding tippet rings?

Last edited by hantke; 05-27-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:44 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: New guy questions

backing on reel ,how much depends on reel size.The normal length for leaders is a 9ft tapered leader tapering down to 4 through 6x.Then about 18-24inches of tippet,maybe longer or shorter,depends on the fly size you are using.I usually use5-6x tippet except when I use size 20-30 size flies then I will use 7-8x tippet,yes you read right I do tie and use size 30 flies on the tailwaters where I live. Also I use 10-12ft leaders for calm water with finicky trout.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:02 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default Re: New guy questions

Welcome to the forum!

leaders come in a few sizes, from 7.5'-12', i usually use a 7.5' but im fishing small streams, if the water is gin clear i will go with a 9'. they all have their use. Backing amounts vary from reel to reel and size to size, look up the specs on your particular reel and it should tell you how much it will hold plus the fly line.
What type of rod/reel setup are you using? You mentioned swapping reels, and I am hoping your didn't mean it literally and actually put a fly reel on a spinning rod.
The tippet wts depend on the fly you are trying to turn over, bigger flys = 4x tippet, small flies like #20-#22 = 7x tippet. You wont be lugging out a huge trout on 7x tippet by using spin tecnique, but if played right, you may land him. guys do it all the time. Keep your line tight, play the drag, or palm the spool, depending on your equipment. Its all part of the challenge.

When you register, there is a free download of a book, although i forget the title. Amazon is a good place to find free ebooks, i have downloaded several on fly fishing. I actually just posted some links a couple hours ago.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:05 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by hantke View Post
-Feel free to skip down to the "Post Added" section, I believe I answered my own question already-
So i've read a few books on the subject (though most were about catching the fish (not really my problem as i've been spin casting for years) except for the curtis creek manifesto. I've had some not so great luck with fly fishing at the local pond (each of us spin casting averages around 5-10 catches / hour in the evening) so i got frustrated after catching 3 all day, swapped reels, and did my thing.

Recently i've been looking closer into fly fishing and i believe i found my mistake, on a reel you should have Backing -> Fly line -> Leader -> Tippet -> lure, correct?
I've been fishing with Backing -> Fly line -> 8-12" Tippet -> Lure, probably scaring everything but the dumbest of fish away.

So my question is, what do you guys use for length of Leeder? Should I just go get a reel of Leeder and cut it to 9' and use this?

I was also curious on the tippets, going from 6 to 2 lbs doesn't seem like it will have much of a strength to catch a 8-12" fish out of the river, any suggestions?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I haven't been in contact with any fly fishers lately and I would like to be setup properly this summer.

So far I've found that I should have about a 4 foot tipper on my leader (DANG! never would have thought that, I assumed it would hinder casting abilities!)

I have the Tippet Chart here:
What size tippet do I use?
Now to find the appropriate sized tippet for what i need.

Tippet Length / Where to Begin?
Pointers

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

It's amazing what the search function can accomplish now-a-days.

I've found out that many people have up to 100FT of backing (I've never spooled mine out, it came with the rod / reel kit i bought) than the fly line, then 7.5-9 Feet of leader then another 24-96" or 2-4 feet of tippet.

Looks like i'm a slacker now, time to get back to the store and use a properly setup combo and see what happens.

While I'm Online:

There was also a thing stating that there were free E-Books when you register with the site, are those things that may be helpful? if so, does anybody know where to download them from?

-and-

Does anybody have any suggestions regarding tippet rings?
For what its worth if you are just getting in to rigging your gear in different ways and varying leaders etc etc.

Do yourself a favor and kick the tires on a furled leader ( I use Cutthroat). As a newbie wind knots can ruin a day and burn through 4 or 5 leaders in a day. Furled leaders aren't as susceptible to wind knots as tapered leaders. You can add lengths of tippet as needed

For example dry fly fishing I use a 50" furled leader and 4 feet of 5 ,6 or 7x tippet depending on conditions. Same with nymphing, just use nymph leader

If you want to stay with tapered leaders at least go to the cutthroat site or wherever and order 2mm tippet rings. They make it so easy to add tippet, adjust your length or assist in cutting out the wind knot around your fly, slam new tippet on the ring and re tie on your flies.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:48 AM

hantke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonwt View Post
backing on reel ,how much depends on reel size.The normal length for leaders is a 9ft tapered leader tapering down to 4 through 6x.Then about 18-24inches of tippet,maybe longer or shorter,depends on the fly size you are using.I usually use5-6x tippet except when I use size 20-30 size flies then I will use 7-8x tippet,yes you read right I do tie and use size 30 flies on the tailwaters where I live. Also I use 10-12ft leaders for calm water with finicky trout.
Awesome, (wish I could say I understood all of that, still working out the sizes of fly's, and i got quite the different sizes, i'm realizing the difference now!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnflyfish View Post
Welcome to the forum!

leaders come in a few sizes, from 7.5'-12', i usually use a 7.5' but im fishing small streams, if the water is gin clear i will go with a 9'. they all have their use. Backing amounts vary from reel to reel and size to size, look up the specs on your particular reel and it should tell you how much it will hold plus the fly line.
What type of rod/reel setup are you using? You mentioned swapping reels, and I am hoping your didn't mean it literally and actually put a fly reel on a spinning rod.
The tippet wts depend on the fly you are trying to turn over, bigger flys = 4x tippet, small flies like #20-#22 = 7x tippet. You wont be lugging out a huge trout on 7x tippet by using spin tecnique, but if played right, you may land him. guys do it all the time. Keep your line tight, play the drag, or palm the spool, depending on your equipment. Its all part of the challenge.

When you register, there is a free download of a book, although i forget the title. Amazon is a good place to find free ebooks, i have downloaded several on fly fishing. I actually just posted some links a couple hours ago.
it sounds like i'll want to go with the 4x for sure this summer, me and a friend are going to hit the columbia for a week or so, i'd hate to lose all my new toys, i mean fly's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
For what its worth if you are just getting in to rigging your gear in different ways and varying leaders etc etc.

Do yourself a favor and kick the tires on a furled leader ( I use Cutthroat). As a newbie wind knots can ruin a day and burn through 4 or 5 leaders in a day. Furled leaders aren't as susceptible to wind knots as tapered leaders. You can add lengths of tippet as needed

For example dry fly fishing I use a 50" furled leader and 4 feet of 5 ,6 or 7x tippet depending on conditions. Same with nymphing, just use nymph leader

If you want to stay with tapered leaders at least go to the cutthroat site or wherever and order 2mm tippet rings. They make it so easy to add tippet, adjust your length or assist in cutting out the wind knot around your fly, slam new tippet on the ring and re tie on your flies.
I'm not partial to anything, I have almost no experience outside of what I already have, so I don't know enough information to have a real opinion. The tipper rings do sound great though, the ones i saw at the sports stores were odd ones that you "stick into" the end of the fly line. Seemed cheesy, so needless to say, I didn't get any there.

Right now I have a Redington setup i bought at a sporting goods store (rod + Reel + line) 9' 5wt

My dad gave me a Sierra GT something (3000x?) rod by Quarrow that is a graphite rod that can be disassembled and re-assembled as either a spin cast or a fly rod, i've been using it for trout for years and never even knew it did this until last year. It's a 7' (i believe) 5/6 wt and i have grown to love the thing, much more practical to cast out where i live.

I'm using the redington reel on the sierra pole, and I also bought a cortland reel W/ line (I assume 5wt because it feels / casts the same) that I intended on replacing the line on and using on the sierra in the future.

So far, no leaders, only a couple home-made tippets (and i'm starting to think they are more time then they are worth at my skill level though)

The redington has floating line, the cortland had what i assume is supposed to be floating line, but it sits at about 2-3" under the surface for a while before slowly sinking. (I do believe I was told to use something called line dressing)

I must have just missed the download then, it was loading the web page really really slow when i registered. I'll find something.

And thank you for the welcome, You guys are the best for answering my random ramblings and reading all sorts of info.
*edit*
Heres what I found on the setup
Combo includes: Crosswater rod, Crosswater reel pre-spooled with RIO Mainstream® WF fly line, knotless leader, and zippered carrying case

I can also add pictures if that helps.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:20 PM

bigspencer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New guy questions: Tippets

hantke,
That first guide on a spinning rod is usually too big for efficient flyline travel. If you have to go with that rod...might try winding some gorilla ducttape(with the harder, slicker backside = usually black in color..??) around that guide to shrink the size of the opening...might help a flyline a little more in its travel thru it during a cast...fwiw....or else your casting will be tanked bigtime...imho as you'll want to eliminate as much slack from your line during casting whenever you use the flyrod.

FWIW...good idea to memorize a few knots to:
*Connect backing to reel and the flyline to backing
*Tying a fly on
*Connect leader to flyline
*Connect sections of leader of different diameters together(aka providing taper to your leader)...whether you taper your leaders or not, at some point in time you might wanna do just that, maybe not the whole leader...but a part of it.
*Connecting a dropper off of your leader...often productive to fish 2 flies.

Steve

Last edited by bigspencer; 07-12-2014 at 09:44 AM.