The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly fishing FAQs

Fly fishing FAQs Find answers to the some frequently asked fly fishing questions...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2014, 11:06 AM

trout tracker is on a distinguished road
Default How to nymph fish

Hi,

I'm just getting started in fly fishing and I'm a bit confused on how to do nymphing. From the research I've done I've found that you would put a strike indicator on your leader and below that a swivel and some tippet then you fly. What I don't understand is your supposed to do this in a deep lake.

My question is for a lake situation would you use a really long leader. And also once you get the nymph out there do you just sit and wait for a bite or do you retrieve it. Sorry if these sound like stupid questions.

I only own a floating line by the way.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to nymph fish

For fishing lakes I find using a strike indicator with a couple nymphs below that is BORING, I just don't have the patience to sit there and wait for a fish to wander by! Instead, I like to use something like a Copper John and then as a trailer nymph that doesn't have any weight, no additional split shot or indicator. Toss that out, do a count down, say start with 10 seconds, then a slow hand twist retrieve. If that doesn't produce, try 15 seconds on the next cast. If your casting up near shore with weeds, maybe wait 2 seconds before doing the slow hand twist retrieve.
fredaevans likes this.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:42 PM

trout tracker is on a distinguished road

Thanks will have to try that some time
Old 09-17-2014, 02:22 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

The resident experts around these parts are Kelly G. and Joni (Tomich)... hopefully they will see your plea and chime in. FFing deep, in lakes, is a whole 'nother ball of wax, generally requiring long leaders and slip strike indicators for floating lines and/or various sinking lines (along with a good fish finder)...

Here is a piece that may provide a few answers:

Fishing Lake Wet Flies and Nymphs

In the meantime, use the google to research the advise of guys like Brian Chan, Phillip Rowley and Denny Rickards...all three sometimes walk on water...

In a good many of the high elevation lakes I frequent, here in the Sierras, I can get away with working soft hackles,scuds, pt's, hare's ears, streamers, damsels and dragon flies, beneath the surface, in water that is less than 15' deep with a floating line. If the fish are cruising and foraging at greater depths, another method is required...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 09-17-2014, 04:44 PM

booone0 is on a distinguished road

I love fly fishing, but kind of piggybacking the original question... What is the advantage to using a fly rod in deeper water?
Old 09-17-2014, 06:13 PM

kosix will become famous soon enoughkosix will become famous soon enough

When you say deep ? How deep? Are you boat fishing or shore fishing?
Old 09-17-2014, 07:04 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by booone0 View Post
I love fly fishing, but kind of piggybacking the original question... What is the advantage to using a fly rod in deeper water?
See left hand corner of header above... If I were fishing for Lake Trout in Lake Tahoe, I'd be using a cannon ball rig:

Fishing Lake Tahoe for Big Macs

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Last edited by planettrout; 09-18-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:43 AM

lgfrommv107 is on a distinguished road

I've been learning a lot in the last week doing some lake Stillwater fishing. And I mean like glass lol I've found some basic info then try to fine tune it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk