The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly fishing FAQs

Fly fishing FAQs Find answers to the some frequently asked fly fishing questions...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 3 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By troutma99
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By cowboymi
  • 1 Post By troutma99
  • 1 Post By jcw355

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2015, 10:30 AM

troutma99 is on a distinguished road
Default Leaky Waders

My bootfoot breathable waders have at least one small hole in them. Waters not gushing in or anything, but by the end of the day, there's a nice inch of water in my right boot

If they were neoprene stockingfoot I'd just pour water inside and roll it up until the pressure forces the water out of the holes. But they aren't neoprene and I'm concerned that the inside of the boot would have trouble drying.

Anyone know the best way to locate the leaks so I can patch them up?
Old 08-19-2015, 10:33 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaky Waders

What brand of wader? A quirt bottle of denatured alch, squirt, look for a 'black spot?' There was the damned pin hole.
smilingduck likes this.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:41 AM

Cheap Cabelas ones.

My regular pair is getting small, so I have to use these until I buy a new pair.

And thanks for the tip. I know that has a lot of addatives in it... any possible negative side effects of spraying it on?
Old 08-19-2015, 10:44 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a good video by Simms on how to find pin hole leaks and repair them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBI70sxYQKU
jpbfly, fredaevans and smilingduck like this.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:56 AM

Aha! I get it now! Thanks guys!
fredaevans likes this.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:18 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutma99 View Post
Aha! I get it now! Thanks guys!
A tiny weeping leek is a total pain where you sit. Knee/anchle wet and 'OK, where is the damned thing!
troutma99 likes this.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:50 PM

cowboymi is on a distinguished road

Switch to stocking foot waders. They are cheaper in the long run because you buy the boot separate from the waders. I went from boot foot to stocking foot pure rubber then finally $200 gortex all are only good for a year before they leak except the last ones.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboymi View Post
Switch to stocking foot waders. They are cheaper in the long run because you buy the boot separate from the waders. I went from boot foot to stocking foot pure rubber then finally $200 gortex all are only good for a year before they leak except the last ones.

I have 3 pairs of waders... breathble bootfoots (my backup), neoprene stockingfoots (for winter), and breathable stockingfoots (my main waders).

I like the bootfoot better than my stockingfoot waders, because they are quicker for me to put on and off among other things. Just my personal preference though.

Although I see what you're saying... if boot size changes you can use the same waders still.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:16 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Here is a good video by Simms on how to find pin hole leaks and repair them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBI70sxYQKU
Doesn't this work on goretex only?
troutma99 likes this.