The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly fishing FAQs

Fly fishing FAQs Find answers to the some frequently asked fly fishing questions...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2015, 11:12 AM

jayr is a glorious beacon of lightjayr is a glorious beacon of lightjayr is a glorious beacon of lightjayr is a glorious beacon of lightjayr is a glorious beacon of light
Default Nymph fishing for a beginner

All,

I have been a dry fly fisherman for many years. Learned from my dad and since my dad was not a nymph fisherman, I never really "learned" it.

I am wanting to broaden my fishing and know that early and late in the year nymph in will be much more productive.

I have heard/seen many different types, Czech, high stick, indicator, etc.

I know this is a general and broad question, but what type would at least be a good start?

Here is some info on my areas I primarily fish.

Almost exclusively GSMNP but will hit western NC. Freestone streams, blue lines as well.

I have 3 different 8'6" rods from medium to fast action. I also have a couple of 7'6" medium action rods. All are in the 3-5 weight range.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2015, 11:52 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nymph fishing for a beginner

This book is as good of a place to start as any for the information you're looking for, I'd certainly recommend it. Many members seem to appreciate the book as much as I have.

Dynamic Nymphing: Tactics, Techniques, and Flies from Around the World: George Daniel: 9780811707411: Amazon.com: Books Dynamic Nymphing: Tactics, Techniques, and Flies from Around the World: George Daniel: 9780811707411: Amazon.com: Books

If you look around on youtube, you can probably find some of presentations too.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:00 PM

moucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud of

In an earlier thread on the same topic, forum member planettrout posted this link with some excellent basic info on nymphing:

Nymphing Tactics
Old 11-01-2015, 12:42 PM

spm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant future

Also, Orvis fly fishing videos are excellent and they are free.

How To Fly Fish For Trout: Nymph Fishing Video Lessons - Orvis

steve
bigjim5589 and mcnerney like this.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:57 PM

planettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant future

Many years ago, I learned the basic principles of "high stick nymphing", on the Roaring Fork River in CO, from the guy who actually developed this method of nymphing:

CHARLES ROBERT FOTHERGILL

It is the easiest and most basic technique to learn. Trout derive up to 90% of their diet subsurface. It is, IMHO, the most productive method of fly fishing - anyplace... anytime...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 11-01-2015, 02:11 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Start by reading this post:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...tml#post730597
bigjim5589 and mcnerney like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-10-2015, 09:41 PM

distant angler is on a distinguished road

Do a search on "Flymph" ( Hidy- Liesenring) fishing you will enjoy the reading and opens up more than just "Nymph" fishing.

The techniques and flies will keep you busy for a while...

Did I mention how many fish you will catch?
bigjim5589, mcnerney, trs and 1 others like this.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:39 PM
Curtis has a spectacular aura aboutCurtis has a spectacular aura aboutCurtis has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Just this year I have been doing a good amount of "Euro" nymphing. Bought a Sage ESN 11 foot 3 weight and have been tying a lot of tungsten nymphs.

It is amazing how many fish you find taking your fly that you would have missed through regular nymphing means, and in places that you might not have cast to otherwise as well.

That would be my recommendation if you want to really catch a lot of fish nymphing.

You can get into it for a lot less than the Sage brand as well. I hear great things about the Cortland competition nymph rod.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:59 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Jayr, I can't really add anything more than what the others have said. When I've fished nymphs it's been primarily as planettrout has said with high sticking which is very basic but works quite well.

I was up in your area a few weeks ago. My brother in law has been hospitalized up that way, so the wife & I went up to see him. Unfortunately not a fishing trip!

We rode thru some of the park near Gatlinburg and through the town, and stayed in both Sevierville & Pigeon Forge. It was all quite scenic and we both enjoyed it!

The BIL has been in 3 hospitals over the last 8 weeks including one in Knoxville, but I didn't go there. The wife did & is now in Johnson City with him at the VA Hospital. He's finally getting out & coming here to SC with her this Thursday, so I don't expect to be up that way again.

That's certainly some beautiful country up there! I wish I had had time to look around more, and take in some of the fishing! You're a fortunate man to live in and have access to such a beautiful area
mcnerney and smilingduck like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-11-2015, 09:39 AM

jayr is a glorious beacon of lightjayr is a glorious beacon of lightjayr is a glorious beacon of lightjayr is a glorious beacon of lightjayr is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Jayr, I can't really add anything more than what the others have said. When I've fished nymphs it's been primarily as planettrout has said with high sticking which is very basic but works quite well.

I was up in your area a few weeks ago. My brother in law has been hospitalized up that way, so the wife & I went up to see him. Unfortunately not a fishing trip!

We rode thru some of the park near Gatlinburg and through the town, and stayed in both Sevierville & Pigeon Forge. It was all quite scenic and we both enjoyed it!

The BIL has been in 3 hospitals over the last 8 weeks including one in Knoxville, but I didn't go there. The wife did & is now in Johnson City with him at the VA Hospital. He's finally getting out & coming here to SC with her this Thursday, so I don't expect to be up that way again.

That's certainly some beautiful country up there! I wish I had had time to look around more, and take in some of the fishing! You're a fortunate man to live in and have access to such a beautiful area
Hope your bil recovers!

You really didn't even see the best part of the park. Gatlinburg etc., is one huge traffic mess most of the year.

You need to see the other "sides" of the park! If you ever come up and can fish, send me a message and I can take you to a few places, seriously!
mcnerney likes this.