The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly fishing FAQs

Fly fishing FAQs Find answers to the some frequently asked fly fishing questions...

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2017, 03:18 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Stream-side photos of your catch - camera suggestions?

Here's a vote for the Nikon AW 110. Takes great underwater shots:

Click the image to open in full size.

Great scenics:

Great on the river shots:

and great close-ups:

Gary
Old 02-25-2017, 08:25 PM

iv_wjb will become famous soon enough

Nice - I'm a Nikon guy & glad to see it represented... I'll check it out, thanks!!
Old 02-28-2017, 01:09 PM

hatidua is on a distinguished road

I have tried far too many cameras over the years ranging from integrally waterproof (back to the days of the Nikonos II) up to current camera's in Subal housings that cost more than my car.

As others have opined, a small convenient camera is better than that whiz-bang camera you have at home on the shelf....because it's likely going to sit on the shelf most of the time.

I'm not anti-big&bulky, and I carry one of those as well, but having 'small and convenient' is never a bad thing.

If going the P&S route, try to get one with at least a lens that covers the equivalent of 28mm, preferrably wider if available. Don't worry about the long end of the zoom, those are all pretty much garbage in terms of sharpness.

Many of the photos in the "SALT" and "FRESH" galleries on this site were done with a Canon S100 in a small waterhousing that lives in my fannypack:

www.markpix.com
iv_wjb likes this.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:07 PM

ottosmagic13 will become famous soon enoughottosmagic13 will become famous soon enough

I keep my Samsung Edge 6+ (phone) in the waterproof pouch inside my waders. Take it out for shot then slide it back in.

Stream: https://goo.gl/photos/t7NxroyEQB2Ao9hk8

Bug: https://goo.gl/photos/fRq821sCtqyHAcqL6

Stream: https://goo.gl/photos/pJaLxM9yukJxCQzh8

FISH: https://goo.gl/photos/ituvRCdoQiJqdA2V7

all taken with it. I'm happy and don't have to carry anything else with me wading.
iv_wjb likes this.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:16 PM

al_a is a jewel in the roughal_a is a jewel in the roughal_a is a jewel in the rough

As a wildlife artist (who also paints fish and fly fishing scenes), I'm seldom looking for a publishable quality photo, but am never without a camera of some kind whenever I think I might possibly be in a place where I can get a reference photo for my paintings. I've got several DSLRs with a variety of lenses, which almost never get taken anywhere on the water. I've got superzoom point and shoots for those down and dirty times when I want to have the capability of shooting a critter halfway to the next county but don't expect it to happen enough to bring the DSLRs with the big lenses. I've got two different waterproof point and shoots, one of which goes on EVERY fishing trip. And I've got an Iphone.

Of all of them, I depend upon the Nikon AW 100, which is a discontinued model that I liked so much that I bought an extra one on EBay when I heard it was discontinued. The Iphone gets decent pictures, but the Nikon gets better ones by far, and it's a totally no-brainer camera that you don't have to worry about on the water, and that fits in your shirt pocket. It gets used the most because it's dependable, portable, and almost indestructible. I can't imagine why an angler wouldn't carry a similar waterproof point and shoot, doesn't have to be the Nikon--there are plenty of good ones available.

I used to order all the time from the mail order camera supply places, especially B&H Photo Video. I can tell anybody that it's a perfectly reliable source for camera gear. But in the last few years I've bought all my stuff from Bozeman Camera and Repair in Bozeman, Montana, close to where I live half the year. Their prices are comparable to the New York mail order places and they give great service.
ezduzit and iv_wjb like this.
Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

While I do carry a Nikon DSLR while fishing I don't recommend it. The waterproof P&S's are OK, they don't have as many focus stops as less compressed regular little cameras but still have a far bigger sensor than a cell phone. Note to brand conscious folk; Nikon does not make their little cameras, like most they are built for them by some none-Japanese contract manufacturer. I bought my wife the Panasonic waterproof and it has proven very serviceable.

The most important piece of advice here comes from Dillon; please DO NOT lay one of our precious fish down on the gravel to capture an image, hold them in the water and shoot one-handed or, if like me you use a camera requiring two hands, have your fishing partner hold the fish and your rod for you in proper revival pose. The fish will be happier and you will get a more attractive image too.
iv_wjb likes this.