The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Frequently Asked Questions > Fly Fishing Gear FAQ

Fly Fishing Gear FAQ Answers to questions about fly fishing gear that are asked the most...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By fyshstykr
  • 1 Post By bob3700
  • 1 Post By troutnut4
  • 1 Post By Ard Stetts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2014, 11:17 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all
Default Dip Net Retractors

With all the talk about landing nets, I am curious as to which retractor I should purchase for my new Brodin net. Can you offer advice regarding the most dependable net minder? I hear comments regarding the magnetic ones as not being the most satisfactory. Any and all advice is appreciated.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:27 AM

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dip Net Retractors

My old vest and net aren't used a ton anymore because I fish mostly from a drift boat, but back when I walked the banks more, the magnetic release always worked as I needed. I've never lost a net using one.

Buy a good quality one, and use the bunji cord that's also provided if your concerned about losing your net.

BTW, I hope you don't mind, I'm going to move this thread to 'Fly fishing gear FAQ' where it'll be seen by more members.
Ard Stetts, troutnut4 and lurky like this.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:53 AM

mridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant future

I use a magnetic release like John was talking about. Works great for me.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:08 PM

bob3700 is a glorious beacon of lightbob3700 is a glorious beacon of lightbob3700 is a glorious beacon of lightbob3700 is a glorious beacon of lightbob3700 is a glorious beacon of lightbob3700 is a glorious beacon of light

I purchased the Fishpond unit. It has rare earth magnets and a bungee. The magnets are strong and easy to reattach. The bungee is more than long enough and will keep you net from escaping.

Bob
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:27 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

I recently purchased a Dr. Slick magnetic net keeper. Seems like a very strong set of magnets but haven't had a chance to use it yet.
Ard Stetts likes this.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Ard Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Stetts Send a message via Skype™ to Ard Stetts

When using a small net I use the magnet type like you bought. Great when you catch a fish, try to mount so your net hangs handle down so all you need do is reach back and grasp it. My problem has always been getting them reattached, I must look like a guy getting ready for yoga while reaching back to get things together. I think it's because with wade jackets the hood gets in the way of things, with hood up they find each other real well.

Ard
repperson29 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-22-2015, 04:03 PM

spm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Buy a good quality one, and use the bunji cord that's also provided if your concerned about losing your net.
Excellent advice. I didn't and did.
Fortunately, my friend was downstream and was able to snag it for me.

steve