The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly Fishing How To's

Fly Fishing How To's Discussions on how to improve your fly fishing knowledge

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2015, 06:15 PM

smsnyder will become famous soon enoughsmsnyder will become famous soon enough
Default Fish gripper grap tool or glove?

What do you guys like? The fish gripper grap tool my the mouth or the glove for tail end holding? Any suggestion on a good fish grip tool?
Old 09-07-2015, 06:34 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fish gripper grap tool or glove?

What kinds fish are you thinking of ?

I have a Fish Grip and I use it almost exclusively for bluefish
They have razor sharp teeth covered with deadly bacteria and will bite you out of spite, just because they are mean.

The tailing glove is used for salmon. They have a strong 'wrist' at their tail junction and that's the best way to land them

You'll need to be more specific, 'cuz it all depends on the fish and the situation.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:46 PM

Will be using it for king Salmon steelhead and browns. I like the idea of the scale on the fish gripper. The BOGA GRIP is expensive. Any other choices?
Old 09-07-2015, 07:19 PM

fq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsnyder View Post
Will be using it for king Salmon steelhead and browns. I like the idea of the scale on the fish gripper. The BOGA GRIP is expensive. Any other choices?
Yeah. You can get a boga grip clone for ten bucks off either ebay or Amazon. Its straight up chinese and takes forever to get here, plus no scale. BUT...for ten bucks? Its a solid, well built piece of kit. I use it a lot for toothy critters like snappers, blues, mackeral and grouper. Google around till you find one, it is worth the wait. Sorry I can't give you a brand, it just made in China and I have had it three years and forget the vendor. I am pretty sure it was Amazxon though.
ezduzit likes this.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:39 PM

Yea I got bit by a toothy king salmon last year. Needed 10 stiches. Not fun

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

Just talked to a older gentleman in Florida who has a copy of the orginal Boga grip made. Its called captain hook Boga Grip on ebay. He said he sold over 800 of them with no complaints. Order one to weigh fish up to 60 pounds. $34.95
fq13 likes this.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:57 PM

GrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant future

I wouldn't use a Boga Grip on a Salmon unless I intended upon keeping it, and if you set it loose after, I would be concerned that the amount of damage done to their jaw as minimal as it may be, might be enough to deter them from spawning.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:26 AM

deceiverbob has a spectacular aura aboutdeceiverbob has a spectacular aura aboutdeceiverbob has a spectacular aura about

Look at The Fish Grip. works like a pair of vise grips with different jaws. Made of plastic, comes in two sizes retails for $15
Old 09-08-2015, 01:53 PM

ezduzit is a name known to allezduzit is a name known to allezduzit is a name known to allezduzit is a name known to allezduzit is a name known to allezduzit is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtLksMarlin View Post
I wouldn't use a Boga Grip on a Salmon unless I intended upon keeping it, and if you set it loose after, I would be concerned that the amount of damage done to their jaw as minimal as it may be, might be enough to deter them from spawning.

B.E.F.
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deceiverbob View Post
Look at The Fish Grip. works like a pair of vise grips with different jaws. Made of plastic, comes in two sizes retails for $15
The jaws on these are much more blunt where they contact the fish, and they are plastic--not metal.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've had guys with me who use the gloves and they seem to work very well. Myself, I have hands big enough to palm basketballs so only small fish present a challenge to me getting hold. For small ones I just leave them in a net and remove the hook. Weight shouldn't be a concern unless you are looking to register a fish for some reason. That may seem a flippant thing to say but after a while you'll get to know what you are looking at whether it's a 5.5 pound trout or a 40 pound salmon.

I would go with the glove and leave the fish in the water if I planned on releasing them. I haven't seen anyone using the glove lose the grip yet.

Ard
rockriver, trs, lightline and 1 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-08-2015, 03:04 PM

mridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant future

I've tried some gloves. For salmon, I think a bare hand at the tail is the best way to land one period. I've never held onto one over 30 pounds that way but my built in meat hooks seem to do a fine job and the water usually isn't so cold that I need gloves when salmon fishing. Most of the salmon fishing I do is on Lake Michigan salmon and most of the rivers there aren't producing a true spawn. Land them anyway you can if you plan to eat them.

I have the hardest time hanging onto Rainbows. They are slick and don't seem to have a decent handle anywhere that isn't harmful to the fish. I rarely keep a rainbow. It has been years. I try to handle them over enough water so that if I lose my grip they land in the water and not rocks or sand.

Browns can be tailed but not easy as a salmon. I try to be extra good to browns though and would rather lose one while landing it than injure it in any way. Never kept a brown and never will.

Steelhead are easier to hang onto due to their larger size than rainbows. I often have a glove on with some grippy, rubber material since the weather and the water are so dang cold when fishing for them most of the time. I always handle them as gently as possible because I release every single one I catch.

I could rattle on and on but for most of the fish I catch (freshwater) my hand is the best tool for the job. There have been times I would have liked a Boga for grabbing a catfish that is thrashing around near the bank but that's about it for me. Usually manage to wrangle them with my hands anyway. Sometimes I leak a little blood but that's kind of cool!
trs, ts47 and ezduzit like this.