The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly Fishing How To's

Fly Fishing How To's Discussions on how to improve your fly fishing knowledge

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2015, 04:47 PM

shinny is on a distinguished road
Default sling packs

New to fly fishing in CO and want to pick up a sling pack, probably the Simms Headwaters. Any thoughts or recommendations on getting the large or small version? Is the extra size of the large pack more uncomfortable or much of an encumbrance on the water? Thanks and great forum.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:01 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: sling packs

More un-needed 'crud' to carry around. You need one small fly box, same 6 flees in different sizes. A spool or two of leader in your shirt pocket, cheap nail clippers to cut. Beyond that, it's all 'dead weight.'

I look at pictures of guys/gals with loaded vests 'someplace' and just have to shake my head.

This observation has been 'Ms. Dog-Dog' (aka 'Turkey') approved.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:38 PM

moucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud of
Default Re: sling packs

Haven't tried the Headwaters, but Umpqua redesigned their Steamboat sling pack for next year, so this year's model is currently available at closeout prices. I just bought one and it looks pretty well thought-out with some clever design features, although I haven't field-tested it yet. It has received good reviews. Worth a look if you're comparison shopping.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:46 PM

wetboot has a spectacular aura aboutwetboot has a spectacular aura about

Hi,
I have used all versions of the Orvis sling pack, including the latest (green) one. The small one is fine if you are just pulling into to a parking area and fishing right there, but I tend to walk a lot and don't always want to hike back to the truck for lunch. Also, you carry a rain jacket as well as lunch. I would expect that in Colorado you would be fishing away from access points to get away from the crowds.

I would seriously take a look at the Simms pack before buying. I have lots of Simms gear, but the last sling pack I looked at felt kind of cheap. My Orvis bags have been bullet proof and are super comfortable.
onemississipp and ten_fiver like this.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:14 PM

smsnyder will become famous soon enoughsmsnyder will become famous soon enough

Orvis sling pack are good and waterproof,
Old 09-26-2015, 09:08 PM

fq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to all

I am a Patagucci stand up vest guy. Large rear pocket for raincoat, lunch and water bottle and inside zip pouches for TP and first aid and flashlight. And four front straight up pockets up front for three fly boxes and the fourth holds a high boy with no spillage. Yvonne Chouinard knew what he was doing!. Otherwise I am a minimalist, but for all day, why leave useful stuff behind? Its silly to get rained on when you have goretex in the truck, and TP is never wasted space, just saying.

That said, so as not to be off topic Allen is having a close out on their sling packs. I have zero knowledge about them, but the price is right and they are a stand up company CS wise. I have dealt with them for years and they are a board sponsor. Check out allenflyfishing.com.
fredaevans and onemississipp like this.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:02 AM

ib me is on a distinguished road

I would give the Patagona Atom sling pack a look. The pack has lots of room for more gear than you need,a water bottle holder You dont know its there until you need it.At $89.00 its a good buy I have had mine for 5 years of hard use & it still looks new
Denis
fq13 and jjc155 like this.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:25 AM

fq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to allfq13 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib me View Post
I would give the Patagona Atom sling pack a look. The pack has lots of room for more gear than you need,a water bottle holder You dont know its there until you need it.At $89.00 its a good buy I have had mine for 5 years of hard use & it still looks new
Denis
I don't know about the sling pack, but I will second the hard wear endorsement. My Patagonia vest is circa 1994 and other than some stains its as good as new. Hell I have one of their guide shirts. Its a synthetic that feels like canvas and the buttons are held on with a strip of webbing rather than thread so they don't pop off. Its a nice forest green and still looks good enough to walk into a casual restaurant. Of course it was spendy at $90, but that was in 1987, and I still wear the shirt. I think I got my money's worth.D I used to deal Patagonia at an ohutfiters and it was a rare day that any one brought their stuff in for a defect. Kind of like Filson "Buy it once and buy it right".
Old 09-27-2015, 11:31 AM

fishguy613 is on a distinguished road

I have the lead simms sling pack which apparently now is discontinued and replaced with a new version. The only thing I don't like is that water can get in, I've waded a bit too deep and got water in the pack before. Other than that, I love the design, pockets in all the right places holds alot of stuff. I've had a rain jacket in the large pocket before. Alot of days the bag is too big though on those days I run a chest pack.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:42 PM

yikes has much to be proud ofyikes has much to be proud ofyikes has much to be proud ofyikes has much to be proud ofyikes has much to be proud ofyikes has much to be proud ofyikes has much to be proud ofyikes has much to be proud ofyikes has much to be proud ofyikes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
More un-needed 'crud' to carry around. You need one small fly box, same 6 flees in different sizes. A spool or two of leader in your shirt pocket, cheap nail clippers to cut. Beyond that, it's all 'dead weight.'

I look at pictures of guys/gals with loaded vests 'someplace' and just have to shake my head.

This observation has been 'Ms. Dog-Dog' (aka 'Turkey') approved.
Fred, if I recall from your other posts, you fish with fairly close access to your vehicle, correct? Most of my fishing spots are 45 minutes+ away from my car, so I need something that will help me hike and keep me supplied for the day. In addition to the minimal gear, my sling pack also carries my drinking water, lunch and trail bars, suncreen, raincoat, buff and other layers, camera, plus a headlamp for coming back in the dark.
I have the previous iteration of the Orvis sling pack (the small one). The new one has substantial improvements, most of all the waterproof bottom.
cpiercem likes this.