The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly Fishing How To's

Fly Fishing How To's Discussions on how to improve your fly fishing knowledge

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2015, 06:15 PM

sam_mothner has a spectacular aura aboutsam_mothner has a spectacular aura about
Default Euro nymphing with 3 or 4 flies?

Going on a trip this weekend and the fish are very spooky, and tend to only eat when flies are euro nymphed. I have 4 flies I want to use, have any of yall nymphed with 4 before? I'm assuming more tangles than 2 or 3.

Thanks for your help,
Sam
Old 10-15-2015, 06:23 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Euro nymphing with 3 or 4 flies?

Sam: I normally will only nymph with two flies, but occasionally use three as that is the limit here in Wyoming. Nymphing with three definitely ups the odds for tangles, but it is fun to try on occasion. Where are you fishing that it is legal to use four?

Edit: George Daniels has a three part YouTube video out on Euro Nymphing you might want to view if you haven't seen it already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObcDRwrlbuo
scotty macfly likes this.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:49 PM

james w 3 3 is a splendid one to beholdjames w 3 3 is a splendid one to beholdjames w 3 3 is a splendid one to beholdjames w 3 3 is a splendid one to beholdjames w 3 3 is a splendid one to beholdjames w 3 3 is a splendid one to beholdjames w 3 3 is a splendid one to behold

Noooooooo.
I envision this being 10 minutes fishing and 50 minutes untangling and rerigging per hour.
I normally use only a single nymph now, and think I'm doing better because I'm spending all my time fishing.
jonbo, geordie41 and weiliwen like this.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:58 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Sam: I normally will only nymph with two flies, but occasionally use three as that is the limit here in Wyoming. Nymphing with three definitely ups the odds for tangles, but it is fun to try on occasion. Where are you fishing that it is legal to use four?

Edit: George Daniels has a three part YouTube video out on Euro Nymphing you might want to view if you haven't seen it already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObcDRwrlbuo
Ditto here on just two; without looking at Oregon's Fishing regulations I think that's the max.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:00 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

CO is three.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:46 PM

sam_mothner has a spectacular aura aboutsam_mothner has a spectacular aura about

I'm not sure what the limit is here in GA, I have never heard of one. I have heard if people using 4 before, sounds like is more than its worth. I'll use three which is what I do 25% of the time.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:31 PM

tbblom has much to be proud oftbblom has much to be proud oftbblom has much to be proud oftbblom has much to be proud oftbblom has much to be proud oftbblom has much to be proud oftbblom has much to be proud oftbblom has much to be proud oftbblom has much to be proud of

number of tangles goes up exponentially with additional flies...
1^2=1, 2^2=4, 3^2=9, 4^2=16!
And if you catch a fish on the top fly they will gator roll and end up with the other two in their fins.

I used to fish 3 all the time, but I think you actually spend more time fishing with two.

Instagram page @tblom77
Old 10-16-2015, 05:34 PM

sndmn11 is a name known to allsndmn11 is a name known to allsndmn11 is a name known to allsndmn11 is a name known to allsndmn11 is a name known to allsndmn11 is a name known to all

2 when Euro nymphing, and very seldom three. With the flies being presented much more vertically, there is very little water that 3 would be effective.
3 almost always when an indicator is involved and tangles are non existent even with first time fly fishers....keep the flies out of the air
jonbo and cab like this.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:43 PM

weiliwen has a spectacular aura aboutweiliwen has a spectacular aura about

I just cannot imagine how tangled up my line would get - I have more than enough problems with two nymphs. I don't Euro-nymph, so maybe just lifting the rod, moving it upstream, and then back down wouldn't be bad, but that doesn't sound much like fly fishing to me. Might as well use a spinning reel and a clear bobber with a fly or 6 below it.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:00 PM

sndmn11 is a name known to allsndmn11 is a name known to allsndmn11 is a name known to allsndmn11 is a name known to allsndmn11 is a name known to allsndmn11 is a name known to all

There is actual casting when euro nymphing....