The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly Fishing How To's

Fly Fishing How To's Discussions on how to improve your fly fishing knowledge

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2015, 04:21 PM

jschiele is on a distinguished road
Default Fly line to leader connection help?

I just received my new reel with bonefish line spun on. The line doesn't have a welded loop, all my bonefish leaders have a knotted loop. Should I use a perfection loop on my fly line and do a loop to loop connection? My set up is for saltwater flats fishing.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:33 PM

weiliwen has a spectacular aura aboutweiliwen has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fly line to leader connection help?

Unless bonefishing is far different than trout fishing, making a perfection loop with the end of your fly line will be nasty.

I suggest that you cut the loop off your leader and tie it onto the fly line with a nail knot, and then follow that up with Loon's UV Knot Sense or similar, so the junction will slide through the guides instead of taking them off as they pass by when you get that fish of a lifetime.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:42 PM

ts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiliwen View Post
Unless bonefishing is far different than trout fishing, making a perfection loop with the end of your fly line will be nasty.

I suggest that you cut the loop off your leader and tie it onto the fly line with a nail knot, and then follow that up with Loon's UV Knot Sense or similar, so the junction will slide through the guides instead of taking them off as they pass by when you get that fish of a lifetime.
Or take a thick piece of mono with the same flex as your line and nail knot it to your fly line. You can tie a loop in that and go loop to loop with your leader. If you tell us what weight line you have, someone can recommend a size mono - likely 25 or 30lb.

I agree with the knot sense advice above.

Good things come to those who wade...

And YES... the answer is always, "It depends".

Last edited by ts47; 11-09-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:20 PM

nevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud of

I recently picked up some braided loops. Absolutley love them. Perfectly secure if you do it right. No knots, slides right through the guides.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
trs and robinfick like this.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:33 PM

duker is a name known to allduker is a name known to allduker is a name known to allduker is a name known to allduker is a name known to allduker is a name known to all

Assuming you want to keep the loops on your leaders so you can take them on and off easily. . .

+1 on the braided loops. I've found Cortland and Rio to be the best. After you've put one on to the end of your line, dab some Knot Sense or Aquaseal along the length of the loop and let that cure (as straight as you can). Absolutely bomb-proof.

Another method is to do as ts47 suggests and nail knot a length of stronger mono to the end of your line, then put a surgeon's or perfection loop in that.

Scott
fredaevans and bloomagoo like this.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:18 PM

alexcatlet is on a distinguished road

Nail knot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2016, 09:48 PM

nevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud of

Braided loop.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:24 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
Or take a thick piece of mono with the same flex as your line and nail knot it to your fly line. You can tie a loop in that and go loop to loop with your leader. If you tell us what weight line you have, someone can recommend a size mono - likely 25 or 30lb.

I agree with the knot sense advice above.
I agree with this.

The reason is that you will not need to buy braided loops since you already have a leader. Once that leader is trashed, simply leave it nail knotted and cut the butt leaving about 8" of the butt still nail knotted to the fly line. Tie a perfection loop on the end and you will have a short section of leader butt that you can loop to loop connect your next leader to.

Since the original leader butt has a diameter that is either the exact diameter or within thousandths of an inch of the diameter of the future leaders you will use, it will perform just as if each new leader was nail knotted to the fly line.
346xp likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 05-29-2016, 01:12 PM

jaydub is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't trust a braided loop from one of those kits with heat shrink for Bonefish (or any large fish). I've seen them fail. If you are going to do a braided loop, do it this way Getting Looped | Dan Blanton Fly Fishing Resources

But I would do as ts47 suggests and nail knot a piece of mono to you line and tie a loop in it.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:53 AM

jjc155 is a jewel in the roughjjc155 is a jewel in the roughjjc155 is a jewel in the roughjjc155 is a jewel in the rough

Just curious what line? Its been a while since I have seen a line that doesnt have a welded loop on both ends, let alone on the leader end.

As for adding a loop I would do the mono loop nail knoted to the line. Braided loops will not stand up to bone fishing.

J-