The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly Fishing How To's

Fly Fishing How To's Discussions on how to improve your fly fishing knowledge

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 09:14 PM

foulhook3160 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to switch between czech nymphing and dries.

Appreciate all those who have been working on this, I don't think it is easy to do and it is a bit of a challenge.

I have been experimenting with Gary Borger's uni-body leader and have had positive results. This is my formula I have been using-
4ft-Maxima .020 25 lb.
1ft 12 lb Amnesia (red)
1ft 10 lb Amnesia (green)
2mm tippet ring
4ft-2x
2mm tippet ring

From here I added around 4 ft. of 6 lb flouro, then 1 ft. of 4 lb flouro. Tied a short tag at the knot for a fly and another fly at the bottom. Seemed to work well, but I may experiment with 4 lb. flouro to 2 lb flouro.

When I switch to dry flies, I cut leader off at the 2nd tippet ring and added 5x, and it worked really well.

I welcome any feedback from anybody who uses this formula or adapts it. I have not tried George Daniels leader but would to hear from others who have.
jonbo and madison320 like this.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:56 PM

madison320 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by foulhook3160 View Post
Appreciate all those who have been working on this, I don't think it is easy to do and it is a bit of a challenge.

I have been experimenting with Gary Borger's uni-body leader and have had positive results. This is my formula I have been using-
4ft-Maxima .020 25 lb.
1ft 12 lb Amnesia (red)
1ft 10 lb Amnesia (green)
2mm tippet ring
4ft-2x
2mm tippet ring

From here I added around 4 ft. of 6 lb flouro, then 1 ft. of 4 lb flouro. Tied a short tag at the knot for a fly and another fly at the bottom. Seemed to work well, but I may experiment with 4 lb. flouro to 2 lb flouro.

When I switch to dry flies, I cut leader off at the 2nd tippet ring and added 5x, and it worked really well.

I welcome any feedback from anybody who uses this formula or adapts it. I have not tried George Daniels leader but would to hear from others who have.
What is the advantage of having the sighter up higher off the water? Most formulas I've seen have the sighter down close to where the line enters the water. Basically it's leader-sighter-tippet as opposed to leader-sighter-leader-tippet. Maybe it keeps the sighter farther away from the dry to avoid spooking the fish?
Old 01-11-2017, 02:22 PM

guest64 is a name known to allguest64 is a name known to allguest64 is a name known to allguest64 is a name known to allguest64 is a name known to allguest64 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison320 View Post
What is the advantage of having the sighter up higher off the water? Most formulas I've seen have the sighter down close to where the line enters the water. Basically it's leader-sighter-tippet as opposed to leader-sighter-leader-tippet. Maybe it keeps the sighter farther away from the dry to avoid spooking the fish?
I think he's still doing "leader-sighter-tippet" -- just using a long tippet and a slight taper in the tippet.

Most say that tippet length -- from end of sighter to weight (or flies) -- should be 1.5 or 2 times target water depth. By my count, he's got 9 feet of tippet which should be good for 5 or 6 foot deep holes (depending on where weight is applied). That's pretty long (I usually start with about 6' tippet), but depends on the water you're fishing If you're fishing small streams, and presumably holes not as deep, you'd shorten the tippet (or hold the sighter higher).

Not sure why he's got the taper in the tippet. The usually suggestion is to run straight, uniform size tippet except for droppers which are sometimes one size smaller.

I use this formula (more or less) for my long nymph leaders.
https://troutbitten.com/2016/02/03/t...ly-line-sucks/
jonbo and madison320 like this.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:08 AM

sndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to behold

I am wondering the purpose of the 2x section as well.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:15 AM

madison320 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest64 View Post
I think he's still doing "leader-sighter-tippet" -- just using a long tippet and a slight taper in the tippet.

Most say that tippet length -- from end of sighter to weight (or flies) -- should be 1.5 or 2 times target water depth. By my count, he's got 9 feet of tippet which should be good for 5 or 6 foot deep holes (depending on where weight is applied). That's pretty long (I usually start with about 6' tippet), but depends on the water you're fishing If you're fishing small streams, and presumably holes not as deep, you'd shorten the tippet (or hold the sighter higher).

Not sure why he's got the taper in the tippet. The usually suggestion is to run straight, uniform size tippet except for droppers which are sometimes one size smaller.

I use this formula (more or less) for my long nymph leaders.
https://troutbitten.com/2016/02/03/t...ly-line-sucks/
I've seen that website, it's very good and so far that leader formula makes the most sense to me. Hopefully I'll be able to finally test this stuff this weekend.

The guy on troutbitten also says he uses that leader for dry/droppers. That would be great if it works although I'm a little skeptical. I would think the slightest bit of wind would mess you up.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:18 PM

joefbtg28 is on a distinguished road

I have the Echo Shadow II 10' 3wt, and I love it! I was looking for an all around 9' 3wt and the good folks of this site steered me towards the 10' instead. I'm glad they did. I really like the reach during low and clear winter season, then I can czech when the water gets a little faster/dirtier. Most of the time I fish with an indicator, but tight line when the opportunity presents itself. I know the First generation of the Echo Shadow could not throw dries very well, and the 3wt was more like a 5wt. So do your research on the Cortland in that regard.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:55 PM

nimblybimbly85 is on a distinguished road

I use 4' of 3 or 4x looped to my fly line
Then a tippet ring with 3-5' 5x to my lead fly then 6x for droppers 10-16"