The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly Fishing How To's

Fly Fishing How To's Discussions on how to improve your fly fishing knowledge

Like Tree20Likes
  • 1 Post By k1200sportbike
  • 5 Post By tcorfey
  • 4 Post By hairwing530
  • 2 Post By silver creek
  • 3 Post By bigjim5589
  • 3 Post By ia_trouter
  • 2 Post By unknownflyman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 10:07 PM

k1200sportbike is on a distinguished road
Default flies in relation to leaders/tippets?

Relative novice here---been on the water for a couple of years---but much in that time---lots to learn. How important is it---for smallies, panfish, etc., that my fly is at the end of the proper leader and tippet for that size? I realize this may be a difficult question to answer, but I'm not pursuing native Brookies where presentation MUST be exact. What's a good formula to use for proper leader and tippet selection once I've selected the proper fly? Thanks
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:07 AM

tcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant future
Default Re: flies in relation to leaders/tippets?

I am going to try and make this real easy for you.
Go to our sponsors site Cutthroat Leaders. Get the 50" bass sinking or floating leader (go sinking if fishing nymphs or streamers, go floating if fishing dries or poppers your choice). Buy tippet in 2x and 4x.
https://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.c...-fish-leaders/

The leader comes with a loop to attach to the fly line and a tippet ring on the other end. Tie 3' to 4' of the chosen tippet to the tippet ring using the same knot you tie the fly on. I use a clinch knot but whatever knot you choose is fine.

That furled leader will last you all season. All you have to worry about is tippet length and size.
For panfish and small bass, flies from size 6 to 16 should be fine.

Use the 4x tippet with flies sized 12, 14 and 16.
Use the 2x tippet with flies sized 6, 8 and 10.

I think that is the easiest way to do it.

Regards,

Tim C.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 AM

hairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond repute

Tim is spot-on with his assessment, AND with his suggestion about the leaders from Cutthroat Furled Leaders. I use almost all Cutthroat furled leaders these days, as the quality truly is outstanding.

And, one other tip that I might add... When figuring out the proper tippet size for the size flies that you'll be fishing, the "rule of 3" will work when it's loosely applied. (3 x 4X, for example, would give you a tippet that should work with flies ranging from sizes #12 through #16, as Tim indicated. The "rule of 3" isn't an exacting recommendation, but it should get you close enough.

As for me? It's back to the vise. Be well, my friends...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 03-20-2017, 08:56 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1200sportbike View Post
Relative novice here---been on the water for a couple of years---but much in that time---lots to learn. How important is it---for smallies, panfish, etc., that my fly is at the end of the proper leader and tippet for that size? I realize this may be a difficult question to answer, but I'm not pursuing native Brookies where presentation MUST be exact. What's a good formula to use for proper leader and tippet selection once I've selected the proper fly? Thanks
Those fish are not leader shy so you can use a shorter and thicker tippet section than for trout. You don't need a drag free float so the longer thinner tippets of a George Harvey leader are needed.

If you cannot get the leader to lay out straight, go to a thicker and/or shorter tippet.

A bass bug taper fly line will also help.
bigjim5589 and hairwing530 like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-20-2017, 07:02 PM

hairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond repute

k1200sportbike,

When it comes to solid advice, you can't do much better than the words of wisdom from silver creek. A big +1 to him as well...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 03-20-2017, 08:38 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

As a long time warmwater & salt angler, I can tell you that a vast majority of the stuff you read, which applies to trout, doesn't apply to bass, panfish, etc. There are general "rules" that apply to all casting so that the flies being used can be cast, for example, a tapered leader & tippet about the rod length works well for most fishing applications, but other than that you can use whatever you want. I don't even buy "tippet" material, instead use regular bulk lines. Tippet material should be manufactured to more precise tolerances, and often costs more, but is not needed as bulk line works just as well for the fishing I do. If you're fishing a size 22 dry fly, you may need more precise tippet, but that rarely applies to big bass flies or even small panfish flies.

What the others have posted is sound advice. In time you'll develop your own preferences for what you like & what works for you, but that may mean you'll have to experiment. I used to use Stren line as tippet, and the various Berkley lines. All worked OK, but now use Yozuri Hybrid to both make leaders & as tippet. I do this for 2 reasons, one it works well for me & two, I use the same line on baitcasting & spinning gear so no need to buy many types/brands.

There is also mentioned many times in trout discussions about the "X" designations of tippet. Forget all that for warmwater or salt. Just use a line of appropriate diameter & test strength for the flies you're using & the conditions, situations or fish being targeted. As Silver Creek said, these fish are not line shy, so even if you go a little on the heavier side, it's not critical.
I often use line for tippet in the 15 to 25 lb tests. I don't want to be breaking off fish because some fly fishing table said I should use "1X" tippet! Bass don't read the fly fishing books, magazines or websites!

BTW, this can even be applied to trout fishing. A lot of what is told about trout, for many waters is not critical. There may be waters, & situations, conditions that dictate you'll have more success with using "specific" gear, but there's plenty of trout, especially hatchery trout, that can be caught without special leaders, tippets, etc. Most of the trout fishing I used to do when I lived in MD, was with streamers, nymphs & terrestrial patterns & the trout didn't know I was using the same gear I used for panfish!
hairwing530, fr8dog and ia_trouter like this.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:07 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

No need to complicate panfish and bass leaders.

For panfish I often use 10# mono. About 4-6ft long seems sufficient. I have plenty of 50 fish days so they clearly don't care. You can always add a few feet of lighter tippet if you desire.

For bass I use hand tied leaders. Berkely Big game mono works. Leaders in the 4-5ft total length range. 40#-25#-15# If you are throwing big flies I think the heavy butt section helps. I know some people throw a single piece of mono in one size and call it a day. They catch fish too. I save my complicated strategies for the trout.
bigjim5589, hairwing530 and fr8dog like this.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:24 AM

unknownflyman has much to be proud ofunknownflyman has much to be proud ofunknownflyman has much to be proud ofunknownflyman has much to be proud ofunknownflyman has much to be proud ofunknownflyman has much to be proud ofunknownflyman has much to be proud ofunknownflyman has much to be proud ofunknownflyman has much to be proud ofunknownflyman has much to be proud of

Not to be disagreeable but pantfish I'm using 2lb test mono and bass 8lb test.

Brook trout and Browns I'm into 5x tapered leaders max, I use 6x on rivers with just Brook trout. I usually use the power flex in 5lb.

Doesn't matter what I'm fishing for I do way better with the lightest line I can get away with.
bigjim5589 and hairwing530 like this.