The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly Fishing How To's

Fly Fishing How To's Discussions on how to improve your fly fishing knowledge

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 01:33 PM

madison320 is on a distinguished road
Default Tired of getting snagged - maybe nymph jig hooks?

I'm getting tired of spending 10 minutes tying up a complicated nymph rig and then losing it on the first couple casts. I think I'm going to try tying some nymphs with jig hooks and different tungsten beadhead weights. The idea is to only have to tie on one nymph and no split shot. If there's a lot of current I'll just use a nymph tied with a heavier beadhead. Plus I'm hoping the jig head will snag less. but if I do lose it I'll only have to tie on one thing.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:42 PM

darkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tired of getting snagged - maybe nymph jig hooks?

I've never noticed when using jig hooks if I snag less.

All I know is that if I'm not getting snagged, I'm not at the bottom. If I'm not at the bottom, I'm not nymphing correctly?

Does the transitive property of mathematics work here?
mcnerney, wf0 and roachm like this.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
I've never noticed when using jig hooks if I snag less.

All I know is that if I'm not getting snagged, I'm not at the bottom. If I'm not at the bottom, I'm not nymphing correctly?

Does the transitive property of mathematics work here?
I guess the jig hook part of my idea is not as important as the idea of having different weights so that I don't need to use split shot.

diff weight > jig hook
mcnerney and wf0 like this.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:51 PM

acorad is just really niceacorad is just really niceacorad is just really niceacorad is just really nice

I use jig hooks for my nymphs. One beadhead nymph on a jig hook and one or two small split shot about 10"-12" up the leader.

Rarely snags so bad that I lose it, very rarely gets tangles, very sensitive to fish hitting it.

Andy
mcnerney and markfrid like this.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:22 PM

mtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nice

I have been experimenting and playing with tippet rings since last fall.
I pre-tie the bottom dropper with a 12" 4x leader and a loop to loop connection. I put them on a hook keeper and can just unwind them then just loop in onto the tippet ring and fish on. Takes a minute max.
The tippet ring though has been a big help for me since i do not have to pull out reading glasses to tie everything on each time and I have rarely lost everything, usually just the bottom fly. I use a 9ft 3x leader with the tippet ring tied on the end of the leader. Then I loop two leaders on the tippet ring, one needs to be short, 4 inches max, one is about a foot. Seem to not lose as many flies.
I have also been experimenting with the drop shot technique that drops a leadered split shot off the eye of the bottom fly with 5x or 6x tippet so it breaks off easy. I find I snag up less with the drop shot, but it is much harder to figure out the 'takes' when fish are not very aggressive.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:01 AM

mattbr will become famous soon enoughmattbr will become famous soon enough

Are you drop shotting?

I know jig hooks are all the rage but if you're running a bobber rig, a depth controlled by your lead shot at the terminal end, not by fly weight is far superior in my opinion. Can be bouncing bottom all day without your flies doing the actual bouncing.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbr View Post
Are you drop shotting?

I know jig hooks are all the rage but if you're running a bobber rig, a depth controlled by your lead shot at the terminal end, not by fly weight is far superior in my opinion. Can be bouncing bottom all day without your flies doing the actual bouncing.
Yes, I've been trying that but I still seem to get snagged and it's harder to rig. Maybe my fly was too close to the bottom?
Old 04-06-2017, 11:37 AM

Bigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

We say if you aren't losing flies you're not fishing.....
Having said that....I am not fond of it.
After over thirty years of nymphing, I can say it's about estimating depth of the water. Duh....
I start shallow if I'm not sure...then move down in 6" increments.
Plus I've learned about 6-8 different ways to retrieve my flies over time.
Can still wade deep to retrieve them too.....
The more time you put in on the water, the easier it gets to determine depth. Nymphing is an art form that takes time.....
Jig hooks are right there with Clousers for not hanging up.

I don't drop shot. Never will.....

Jim
markc61 likes this.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:11 PM

Location: Pocono Pines Pa near the Brodhead/Bushkill/Lackawanna and 1 1/2 hrs from the famed Upper Delaware.
iracmiller is a splendid one to beholdiracmiller is a splendid one to beholdiracmiller is a splendid one to beholdiracmiller is a splendid one to beholdiracmiller is a splendid one to beholdiracmiller is a splendid one to beholdiracmiller is a splendid one to behold

Has anyone seen an underwater video of a drifting nymph jig? Although I use some and they seem to snag somewhat less, I'm still not sure if they really drift hook up.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
We say if you aren't losing flies you're not fishing.....
Having said that....I am not fond of it.
After over thirty years of nymphing, I can say it's about estimating depth of the water. Duh....
I start shallow if I'm not sure...then move down in 6" increments.
Plus I've learned about 6-8 different ways to retrieve my flies over time.
Can still wade deep to retrieve them too.....
The more time you put in on the water, the easier it gets to determine depth. Nymphing is an art form that takes time.....
Jig hooks are right there with Clousers for not hanging up.

I don't drop shot. Never will.....

Jim
I'm fishing small SE Appalachian streams where the depth varies like crazy. Lot's of sticks and boulders too. Now that I've been thinking about it, the sticks are what I was hanging up on when drop shotting.

I've also wondered if the jig hook really rides hook up. Sounds like another bathtub test.

Another thing I've tried recently is bending the hook point in, like a circle hook. It definitely prevents snags, but I'm afraid it prevents hooksets also. I wasn't getting any bites so I don't know if it works.
Bigfly and markc61 like this.