The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly Fishing How To's

Fly Fishing How To's Discussions on how to improve your fly fishing knowledge

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By jayr
  • 5 Post By kentuckysteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2017, 05:57 PM

chris108 is on a distinguished road
Question I need help taking apart a fishing reel

I've got this old vintage trutt o mat fly fishing reel and I think there's a spring broke inside but I can't seem to figure out how to take apart. If anyone knows how please yet me know

It's a trutt o mat dam 4050 made in Germany
Old 05-14-2017, 06:14 PM

jayr has much to be proud ofjayr has much to be proud ofjayr has much to be proud ofjayr has much to be proud ofjayr has much to be proud ofjayr has much to be proud ofjayr has much to be proud ofjayr has much to be proud ofjayr has much to be proud of
Default Re: I need help taking apart a fishing reel

Have you Googled it? Also, check YouTube, you'd be surprised at what you can there.
Ard Stetts and hairwing530 like this.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:41 PM

kentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forum.

I hope you introduce yourself here Member Introductions - The North American Fly Fishing Forum and stick around.

Release all the tension on the spring in case it is not broken.The spring is just like a recoil on a lawnmower.
Loosen the screw on the side of the reel in the center of the spool.This will release the rest of the tension if there is any.
Remove the screw and carefully twist and loosen the cover that contains the spring assembly.If it will not twist loose then you may have to remove the nut on the opposite side of the reel to loosen the spring assembly.
You should be able to lift the cover enough to see under it without removing it completely at first.
The spring will pop out if it is broken so be careful and don't let it hit you in the eye.
If it is not broken you should be able to see how it is attached to the pinion assembly.Usually connected to a slot or a hole on the pinion.
You should be able to remove the end connected to the pinion assembly and lift the spring assembly from the reel.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:15 AM

larrylongrodd is on a distinguished road

There is alot of good video tutorial of youtube of different models.