The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Fly Fishing Humor

Fly Fishing Humor Good clean fun. Fly fishing jokes and humorous stories...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 11:53 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough
Default This really happened to me

Last summer following my retirement from work I flew over to visit family and old friends in South Dakota and Washington. As my Mother and Brother Tracy live at Grand Coulee I couldn't resist fishing Banks Lake and a friend of my brothers Richie Rooney offered to take me out in his "bass boat". It was a lovely boat, but built much lower to the water than I realised, but I was happily fishing for smallmouth bass and whatever else fancied my flies and had just landed a nice bass when I got up to put it in the "live box" immediateley overbalanced and found myself going a--e over backside into the surprisingly not so cold water. I had enough sense to hold on to my rod and the side of the boat and Richie advised me to move round to the stern so he could back into shallower water as there was about thirty feet depths where we were. Eventually I managed to wade out and walk down to a sandy spot further down the shore where I could get back in the boat. Richie said he wished he'd have had a camera handy as it would have looked great on any funny video program. Fortunately it was a warm sunny day so I stripped off all but my pants and carried on fishing!
Old 02-15-2011, 01:03 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This really happened to me

Watched a guy do something similar a couple of Summers ago on the Rogue River. He was in the back of the (Drift) boat, went to set his hook ... nothing there and 'over-balanced;' did a reverse half-gainer right over the back end of the Drift Boat.

Fellow, like yourself, did maintain a grip on his spinning rod, but I think his 'dignity' did take a beating for the rest of the day ...
Old 02-15-2011, 05:22 PM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

Yeah Fred-I felt all shivery at first as it was quite a shock, but as it was a lovely hot day I shrugged it off and carried on fishing. My partner joked that I should wear a rubber suit next time I decided to go diving after the fish! Time before that I "jumped" in three feet of water to corral a sixteen pound pike when the hook pulled out-and got him, but I was a fair bit younger then-and that was the last pike I've caught on the fly-wasn't planned that way as I was after crappies, bass and bluegills-the pike liked the tiny crappie I was horsing in so grabbed it and scared the life out of me!
Old 02-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great story, thanks for sharing, you were lucky it was a nice warm day!

Larry

Old 02-15-2011, 05:36 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Waaay back in the day (USCG and Sea Scouts) and one lesson learned was warm/hot day or no ..and 'over-board' you can almost always count on the 'victim' going into 'shock.' Odd, but seen it happen far more than once.

Damed cold water (Salt or river) will overwhelm most folks in moments if they're not trained to expect/react to same.

Get your butt dumped into the Salt in low 50 degree water? Even if you're in damned good shape, AND know how to protect yourself? Life expectancy is about ONE HOUR. You're not? Maybe 20-30 minutes?

Think about it Fellows, think about it .. and PLAN AHEAD!

Or?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:34 PM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

well, that would be me... I have fallen out of boats, trees, and just miss placed my footing far more times that I actually care to admit to. I know that everyone has that fishing friend that manages to fall in the water whenever the opportunity seems to present itself.

So here's to us! The friends that always manage to fall in, flood our waders, slip and land a** down, or simply misjudge waters real aptitude for getting the better of us. Everyone needs a friend like us!

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 03-29-2011, 12:31 PM

951tightline is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytier07 View Post
but built much lower to the water than I realised,
Haha I knew what was going to happen right when I read that! Something like this almost happened to me, I was fishing on a bass boat with my baitcaster and I set the hook and took a step back and my right foot went off the boat and I did the splits! My right leg was soaked, But I was happy the family jewels didn't get hurt!!!

Tight Lines
Scott