The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Fishing Humor (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-fishing-humor/)
-   -   Your Favorite Fishing Tale Tales (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-fishing-humor/173417-your-favorite-fishing-tale-tales.html)

kglissmeyer1 08-17-2011 12:57 PM

Your Favorite Fishing Tale Tales

I just returned from attending a family reunion where my uncle related a story of he and my dad from a time when I was very young. They traveled to one of my father's favorite spots to fish for trout. Upon arrival, my uncle got his gear out and was waiting by the shore of the small pond they were going to be fishing. My father lagged back a bit and then appeared with a handful of odd items, which included M-80's and baby food jars.

He handed an empty jar to my uncle and told him to unscrew the cap after which he lit an M-80, dropped it in the baby food jar and told my uncle to screw on the cap and throw it into the pond! That's how they spent the day fishing...

My dad always seemed to be a pretty ethical sportsman, but my uncle swears this story was the truth. Here I am at 55 years old and had never heard the story before, but...

...as a Boy Scout I did hear the story about the local guy in town who was always successful on a particular lake in bringing in a limit of fish every time he went out. The Game Warden finally had enough and asked if he could accompany the fellow to see what tactics or techniques he was using. The fellow agreed and they met at the lake the next morning. After arriving by boat at the angler's favorite fishing hole, he lit a stick of dynamite and threw it in the water. Following the resultant explosion and with fish rising to the surface the Game Warden, very flustered and angry, told the guy that this was illegal, whereupon the fellow lit another stick of dynamite, shoved it into the Game Warden's hand and calmly asked, "You gonna talk or fish?"

After hearing the story from my uncle at the reunion, I can't help but think where the tall tale may have originated...:D

What Tall Tales from the outdoors do you have to share?

Kelly.

mcnerney 08-17-2011 04:28 PM

Re: Your Favorite Fishing Tale Tales

Kelly: I don't have anything to compare to your "talk or fish story", but just wanted to say that was a good laugh!

Larry

littledavid123 08-17-2011 05:25 PM

Re: Your Favorite Fishing Tale Tales

Many years ago in a different life I opened a sporting goods store, fishing equipment, bows and hunting supplies. We have all driven by these stores with gas pumps outside plus a few groceries.

Some local 16 yr old boys came in one day and bought a pound of black powder, no big deal this is rural america and I know every kid and his parents that hunt or fish. They come back in the store about 3 hours later and want to buy another pound of powder, no go boys what did you do with the first can, "we shot it all up". Now think about that for a moment, do you really want your dads to know that you lied to me?? "No sir, we are making a bomb to fish a pond and it didn't work" Boys you know I have to call your folks because this idea can kill you, "yes sir we understand".

I called one of the dads and he said to keep them their until there uncle arrives. The uncle (retired military) shows up gives them a good scolding and asked how they were making the bomb. After their explanation he tells them what they were doing wrong and proceeds to follow them out to the pond to demonstrate how to do it correctly.:D

The next day the dad and uncle come by during their lunch break, thanked me for the call and we all had a good laugh about it...I love rural america.

Dave