The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Fly Fishing Humor

Fly Fishing Humor Good clean fun. Fly fishing jokes and humorous stories...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2008, 11:03 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Now THAT was Stupid

If you can’t laugh at yourself you might as well give up fishing and take up shuffleboard or sudoku or something. Sometimes you do things so inane that it seriously makes you wonder how you could ever expect to outsmart even the dumbest of fishes. (Actually, now that I think about it, I usually don’t.) Looking back, some of those brain cramps can be pretty funny.

So, as Jack Frost limits our fishing reports, let’s hear some of those stories. Tell us about the time you:

…. casted for 20 minutes, missing fish after fish, before you realized you had tied on your backyard practice popper. You know, the one whose hook you neatly clipped in mid-bend so as not to hang in the forsythia.

…. or the time your loving, concerned wife bought you a hiking GPS for your birthday because the week before you had gotten completely and hopelessly lost on a backcountry trout stream

…. or the time you and your two buddies chased false albacore until you realized that you were the only boat left out on the whole freakin’ eastern seaboard and subsequently had to “three blind mice” it through the treacherous Cape Lookout inlet buoy slalom in the wicked fogbank, and ensuing darkness, that everyone else seemed to know was coming

…. or the time you discovered, tearfully, that fly rods and sliding truck windows don’t mix

.... nor do cell phones and wet wading

…. or the time you took a shortcut across some mud flats, only to sink to mid-thigh, struggle to escape, barely keeping a grip on your boots, while a group of deer calmly watched you from the wood’s edge, laughing at you with their silent deer laughs, telling each other how you didn’t see THEIR hoof prints out there in that muck, and, despite your having fed them your nice azalea bushes and tender garden greens, they didn’t have the courtesy to pull a Lassie for you and go get Timmy, or Ranger Bob, or SOMEONE (but please, no, not my loving, concerned wife, or next birthday she’ll get me an emergency flare or something really humbling). No, you’re going to die a slow, lingering death there in the mud and they just look at you, those snarky, dumb deer, laughing, chewing, stupid deer. Venison, you hear me, VENISON!!! Uhhh, ummm, excuse me a moment….

Deep breaths… Deep breaths… Deeeeeep Breeeeaaattthhhhhhs.…

Okay. Of course, none of these things happened to me this year (twitch), but if they did, they’d be sort of funny, after a little therapy. (Well, maybe all except those snarky deer). So, while the fishing is slow, take a moment to tell on yourself. Enjoy a good laugh at your own expense. Revel in the stupidity. Let it out. Rest assured, we’ll laugh with you, not at you.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:06 AM

larrysmith9865 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Now THAT was Stupid

Attachment 2510

you mean like this? That was a miserable at the time. the water was covered with snow and we froze. It was a good idea before we started.
But we laugh so hard about that trip now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snowfish.JPG (25.2 KB, 50 views)
Old 06-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Sep,

I just came back from two weeks out at our cabin (really hard to get to) and I had planned on some trout and char fishing, king salmon can be stressful. With the trout in mind I took along my trusty old 5wt only to discover (when I was ready to go get em) that I didn't bring the reel with the Dt #5 line, Duh.

So............I did some extra chores because I couldn't trout fish.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-27-2009, 10:21 AM

larrysmith9865 is on a distinguished road

CHORES!!!!!!! you poor guy
Old 07-01-2009, 02:39 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough

I have done some stupid things ................

Fishing for Bass when it was cold enough outside that the water froze on the line and made curly cues on my line while retrieving. ( First trip last year)

Missing fish after fish on TWO seperated occasions because my hook was in that tree back there. (Really annoying, is it not?? LOL)

Fishing with a wind knotted leader for Bass, cause afterall, I'm not going to hook anything that big.

Fishing for Crappie in weather cold enough that I was wearing snow pants in a boat. And 3-4 upper layers minus coat.(I beleive)

Fishing in weather windy enough to cause 2-1/2 - 3 foot waves. In a boat. Toatally exposed to the full force of the wind sweeping 3/4 of a mile down a lake. We were right at the center of the dam. Needed the big motor on full throttle to get out of there.

Not wearing a pfd in the instances above.

Charging into a trout stream like a mad bull 20 feet above an old gentleman serenly enjoying his little stretch of ater. ( My first time.......)