The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly Fishing Knots

Fly Fishing Knots A discussion on fly fishing knots

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By wjl
  • 1 Post By planettrout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 04:07 PM

logic_factory will become famous soon enoughlogic_factory will become famous soon enough
Default if you had to; what knot for 7x to size 10 dry fly?

i understand most people would never advise one to do this but i have experienced situations where the fish suggested it was necessary.

the davy knot?

thank you for your time.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:46 PM

wjl has a spectacular aura aboutwjl has a spectacular aura aboutwjl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: if you had to; what knot for 7x to size 10 dry fly?

?? just a suggestion
troutn, xnykid and skrap like this.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:59 PM

skrap is on a distinguished road

Wayne, that was fantastic! At first I thought how the heck am I going to be able to tie that knot with the hemos in my sausage fingers. But dame that looks easy. Also, kept browsing related YouTube vids and just learned the perfection loop. Seems like a vital one to know too. So, thank you.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:13 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

I mainly use a Closed Clinch Knot for most of my Fishing as I do heaps of Evening/ Night Fishing & find it real easy to Tie in low light as well as The Dark however occasionally I might use another Knot.
Brian
Old 06-03-2014, 06:44 PM

booone0 is on a distinguished road

Anyone else have issues with the perfection loop? Using 3 tippet, i found it consistently weaker than both the double surgeons loop and the non slip mono loop. I would imagine this problem is worse with a 7x tippet as you'd need all the strength you can get.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2014, 06:54 PM

wjl has a spectacular aura aboutwjl has a spectacular aura aboutwjl has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrap View Post
Wayne, that was fantastic! At first I thought how the heck am I going to be able to tie that knot with the hemos in my sausage fingers. But dame that looks easy. Also, kept browsing related YouTube vids and just learned the perfection loop. Seems like a vital one to know too. So, thank you.
I can only take credit for re-posting it from another post.
I have been using it for the last month and it works good for me and the tag ends are small.
Simple fast and it works.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:44 PM
guest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to behold

Any jamb knot like a clinch, or even improved clinch can be problematic when the steel of the hook eye is much thicker than the tippet. I recommend a non slip loop knot or Kreh loop.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:57 PM

ts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to behold

The Orvis knot! It is stronger than most knots.
Orvis Knot Animation | Fly Fishing Knots

You could also tie a surgeon's loop if you want the fly to have some extra movement. This is also a near 100% knot for breaking strength.

A possibly better suggestion that came from a recent discussion is don't! I am assuming you are using the typical mono for your tippet. Instead, use a 5x fluorocarbon tippet which will be nearly invisible to the fish.

Good things come to those who wade...

And YES... the answer is always, "It depends".
Old 06-03-2014, 08:14 PM

planettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant future

Ummm...in a few years of fly fishing, I have never encountered a situation that calls for attaching a 7x tippet to a #10 hook (of any kind)...

Click the image to open in full size.

The above would be conventional wisdom...

The strongest knot would be the San Diego Jam - going from left to right...Davy Wotton's knot is "cute" and well publicized...it is nowhere near the strongest knot...

Put this between your fly line and leader and add about 1lb. of tippet strength to your set-up...

When the professorial behemoth that your chasing comes to hand, please be kind enough to post a photo of said fish, with the rig that was used...and, as a final resort, try making a downstream presentation with a heavier tippet than 7x...

PT/TB
fyshstykr likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 06-03-2014, 10:44 PM

logic_factory will become famous soon enoughlogic_factory will become famous soon enough

thank you for the responses. looks like i will test the pritzen and davy knot a little more. it appears the pitzen is the knot tied in the above video with the hemostats.

i suspect the pitzen would distribute the load of the knot better than davy but the rough breaking strength numbers i have seen suggest the opposite.

again thank you for those that helped address my specific question.
live long and prosper all.