The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly Fishing Knots

Fly Fishing Knots A discussion on fly fishing knots

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2015, 09:39 PM

flynnster is on a distinguished road
Default Knot in my Fly Line

Hey everyone,
I tried to search but it was kind of impossible since the word "fly" is too short to be used in the search.

Anyway, I'm a new fly fisher and I found that I have a very small knot in my fly line. It's about 5 inches back from the welded loop. So far I have just left it, but will it weaken my line significantly? And if I do cut it, should I just tie a perfection loop in the end instead of the welded loop?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Ard; 05-31-2015 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Title Correction
Old 05-30-2015, 10:29 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of
Default Re: Line in Fly Line

I like I imagine many more here have had knots in Fly Lines ..I even have one now in about the same place in one of my many Lines however I've still caught Fish with them all without them Breaking & the only bad thing is I know is it's there & hasn't gone away.
Over The Years some I've removed & The Line has been OK another I damaged The Coating as The Knot was really tight & subsequently had to Cut The section off & make a new Loop which wasn't a great Drama that Line Still is also OK.
So you can either forget about it or try to remove it hopefully without damage to The Line ..then do as I did make a New Loop or you can Cut The Line & make a new Loop which in some cases make your Line Cast Better.
Brian.
Ard and karstopo like this.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:45 PM

wjl is a splendid one to beholdwjl is a splendid one to beholdwjl is a splendid one to beholdwjl is a splendid one to beholdwjl is a splendid one to beholdwjl is a splendid one to beholdwjl is a splendid one to behold

This should help.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OFluzChZSlo
Ard and trs like this.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:24 PM

Well, for sure got a typo in the title, supposed to say Know in the Fly Line.

Thanks for the advice though!
Old 05-31-2015, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard

If you cut it either use a nail knot on a piece of 25 pound for a butt or cut and fix a braided connector to the line. If you chose to go with the braided loop pay attention when you purchase so you get the correct size for your line weight. If you use the braided loop it is best to secure them with a nail knot made with 8 pound mono.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-31-2015, 06:30 AM

moucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
If you cut it either use a nail knot on a piece of 25 pound for a butt or cut and fix a braided connector to the line. If you chose to go with the braided loop pay attention when you purchase so you get the correct size for your line weight. If you use the braided loop it is best to secure them with a nail knot made with 8 pound mono.

Ard
Even the right-sized braided loops can loosen and slip off. I had that happen to me once while playing a fish. Now I reinforce mine with a drop of Pliobond at the base (slip-on end) of the braided loop under the little sleeve that holds it down, and another at the tip of the fly line. Haven't had any trouble since I started doing that.

I don't like nail-knotting a stiff mono butt. It may be more secure than a braided loop, but the mono tends to curl when the line is left on the reel and it's difficult to straighten out.

Nevertheless, having said that,

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnster View Post
I'm a new fly fisher and I found that I have a very small knot in my fly line. It's about 5 inches back from the welded loop. So far I have just left it, but will it weaken my line significantly?
If it slips through the guides easily I would leave it alone. It shouldn't weaken the line significantly, because your tippet is already a lot weaker. If it hangs up on the guides, get rid of it. You don't want to break your rod tip by accident.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:02 AM

cochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Knot in my Fly Line

Do not continue fishing with a knot in your fly line.

Use needle nose or tweezers to get it out. You probably have to use two pair and be gentle.

Cut, use a nail knot and a butt section if it does not untie.
ejsell likes this.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:27 AM

Alright guys, looks like I'll just leave it alone. It's been there too long and is too tight to undo. And it's small enough that it doesn't get stuck in the guides.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:07 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Fly lines have a 2-6" level section at the tip so even if you cut it off, you won't loose much of the taper. I doubt you could tell tell difference. You could email the manufacturer and ask them how long the tip section is.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 05-18-2017, 08:31 PM

Tailwalk7 is on a distinguished road

This was very helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk