The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly Fishing Knots

Fly Fishing Knots A discussion on fly fishing knots

Like Tree101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2016, 11:23 AM

lanyard is a jewel in the roughlanyard is a jewel in the roughlanyard is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Knot Tying Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Dollar store reading glasses
Don't leave home without them
Thanks for the comment. I wear glasses for reading, but as mentioned I need something to magnify. Not sure I can wear two pairs at once.

I did buy a little set of those magnifiers that clip to the brim of the cap, but they are pretty difficult to keep on the subject, since they are small.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:37 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanyard View Post
Not sure I can wear two pairs at once.

I did buy a little set of those magnifiers that clip to the brim of the cap, but they are pretty difficult to keep on the subject, since they are small.
That's what I do.... the readers go right over the bifocals
A little trick that I learned from Jack Gartside

I have a couple pairs of those flip focals (that go on the hat brim) as well
Don't care for them one bit. They never seem to be in the right position.

Jack used to do this wearing the 2 pairs before he got so "sophisticated"
There doesn't seem to be a picture of that on-line .

Click the image to open in full size.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:54 PM

lanyard is a jewel in the roughlanyard is a jewel in the roughlanyard is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
They never seem to be in the right position.
Exactly right.

This looks promising, thanks. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find them, or similar, somewhere...
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:20 AM

Location: Currently Westminster, Co. Headed to "West Slope" next few years
losthwy is a jewel in the roughlosthwy is a jewel in the roughlosthwy is a jewel in the roughlosthwy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron14 View Post
I saw a video on Facebook recently on using a toothpick to tie blood knots. I now have a couple in my pack. It makes tying so much easier for me, as I always dreaded tying on more tippet when on the water.

Here's a link: http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-f...st-blood-knot/
Outstanding link!
Tying blood knots stream side wind or no wind, esp with small X tippet, is a *****.
I'll be carrying toothpicks with me from now on along with a nail knot tool.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:29 PM

wjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond repute

I use a tying vice for snelling hooks, though I don't often use them anymore, and a bent leader wire for nail knots, which I do use.

I bought two of those tie-fast tools, one of each size, and never got the hang of them, so I went back to the bent leader wire. I never get any overwraps with the leader wire but do with the tools all too frequently.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:31 PM

mikishots is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm View Post
I agree that a knot tool can be seen as a crutch by some. I try to tie my knots without the aid of a tool. However, sometimes my fingers just won't work, and I then use the Tie Fast Tool mentioned above. I was introduced to it by a guide several years ago. It is very easy to use.

steve
My personal opinion - tying knots takes away time that the fly can be in the water. I'll use any tool I can that will help me make a strong knot and get me fishing as quickly as possible. I appreciate the value of being able to accomplish it without a tool, but I don't consider tools as crutches.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:47 PM

HiDrag is on a distinguished road

Well said. Every avocation I've seen has its share of luddites.
For example, go to a amateur radio forum or gathering and you'll find folks who believe anything other than Morse code is "cheating".

The OP's question was what tool....not do you think tools are good or bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikishots View Post
My personal opinion - tying knots takes away time that the fly can be in the water. I'll use any tool I can that will help me make a strong knot and get me fishing as quickly as possible. I appreciate the value of being able to accomplish it without a tool, but I don't consider tools as crutches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
hairwing530, lanyard and rodteague like this.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:43 PM

zug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to behold

I love my Dennison Blood Knot Tool I use it for tying leaders, as far as on the water tool the surgeons knot is just too easy to tye so no tool needed
The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane
Old 01-08-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDrag View Post
The OP's question was what tool....not do you think tools are good or bad.
Thank you...
Old 02-08-2017, 05:56 AM

jfh245 is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately, when my right arm was paralyzed , I lost feeling in both my hands. As a note to others with similar problems, there are some excellent videos online where your hemostat can be used as a clamp and tying tool. With practice, I'm tying several knots with two hemostats and pre-rig several complete leader/tippet/fly systems at home that attach to my line with a surgeons double loop. Small electronic heat sinks used for soldering also make excellent clamps to position line for tying if holding a tying tool is too difficult. Just keep trying.