The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly Fishing Knots

Fly Fishing Knots A discussion on fly fishing knots

Like Tree101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2017, 08:23 AM

old timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to all
Default Re: Knot Tying Tools

Your hands are tools.

Purist use their teeth.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:31 AM

Location: Currently Westminster, Co. Headed to "West Slope" next few years
losthwy is a jewel in the roughlosthwy is a jewel in the roughlosthwy is a jewel in the roughlosthwy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
Your hands are tools.

Purist use their teeth.
If hands are tools teeth must be as well.

Telekinesis may be the only way to fish with "purity".
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:17 PM

lanyard is a jewel in the roughlanyard is a jewel in the roughlanyard is a jewel in the rough

Naw, ya just need a boat

Old 03-12-2017, 02:51 PM

bigcoho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal rob View Post
I'm a bit arthritic and far-sighted. I'm a medium good caster and not sure if I am ever reading the water correctly. But I love getting out there and doing my best. Always learning. For me I decided not to worry about knots ruining my day. So I use a 3 in 1. It helps my frustration level.

Getting Lymes years ago left me arthritic. Eyesight is getting bad so I'm in the same boat. At 55 I wonder just how much longer I can go. I hand tie my knots and carry any type of nail knot tool that will work.
lanyard likes this.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:03 PM

markc61 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Knot Tying Tools

I'm new to fly fishing and have one of these tools. I have to say it may be cheating but it lets a newbie like me not get frustrated and enjoy this awesome sport.
lanyard and el jefe like this.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:23 PM

omas is on a distinguished road

To say that using a knot tying tool is cheating in some way is like saying using a fly rod and flies instead of a spear is cheating. I believe that using a tool can be quicker and much easier for some people. The only draw back that I see with using a tool, is that it can get lost. It is pretty hard for me to misplace my fingers. With that said, as I age and my eye sight gets worst and a life long lack of fine motor skills, I started using a tool to tie most of my knots. Two of the three knots that I commonly use I can tie with my hemostats. I can still tie knots using mine fingers, but only when necessary.
lanyard likes this.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:42 PM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough

I am half blind in one eye from retinal occlusion and have blurred vision from cataracts. Peripheral neuropathy took my sense of touch, so I don't know if I am holding the leader tippet, or the fly, except by sight. Intention tremors make both hands shake, the closer the work, the harder the shaking; so threading the tippet through the eye is a hoot (I tried the Tye-pro but it didn't help). I have tried three other tools to hold the tippet end while making a knot; but none of them is significantly better than my hemostats. I can't use my favored Turle knot anymore so it is always an improved clinch or figure-eight; which are easy with the hemostats.

Anyone watching me change a fly would be roaring with laughter. Heck, I'm even laughing sometimes, as another fly gets away from me and heads downstream.

I'm not complaining, I'm just describing my need for, and appreciation of, a simple tool (hemostats). We do what we can with what we have to enjoy a day on the stream.
lanyard and Idahoflyfishmn like this.

http://overmywaders.com
Old 05-10-2017, 02:02 PM

tex has a spectacular aura abouttex has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by overmywaders View Post
I am half blind in one eye from retinal occlusion and have blurred vision from cataracts. Peripheral neuropathy took my sense of touch, so I don't know if I am holding the leader tippet, or the fly, except by sight. Intention tremors make both hands shake, the closer the work, the harder the shaking; so threading the tippet through the eye is a hoot (I tried the Tye-pro but it didn't help). I have tried three other tools to hold the tippet end while making a knot; but none of them is significantly better than my hemostats. I can't use my favored Turle knot anymore so it is always an improved clinch or figure-eight; which are easy with the hemostats.

Anyone watching me change a fly would be roaring with laughter. Heck, I'm even laughing sometimes, as another fly gets away from me and heads downstream.

I'm not complaining, I'm just describing my need for, and appreciation of, a simple tool (hemostats). We do what we can with what we have to enjoy a day on the stream.

Look up Fas-Snaps. They make pretty small ones that will work on larger drys (maybe to size 10/12). Wont work with an 18 Griffeths Gnat, but would be great on a size 8 Stimulator or almost any nymph, wet or streamer.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:11 PM

smp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the rough

My BRAIN knows how to tie all the knots, it's my FINGERS and EYES are not always cooperative!

Long live hemostats, the knot tool and the now the little fly holding magnet thingy I got for Christmas...:-)
spm and lanyard like this.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:21 PM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the Fas-snaps recommendation. I did try those but I cannot hold something that small. The tremors also twist my fingers up so I end up dropping such a small object -- but don't know I dropped it until I look between my fingers and don't see it. The same with small flies. I'm sure I have caught many trout with no line attached... because when I drop the fly, I do get a perfect drag-free drift.

I can still tie flies, but it takes me five times longer. I won't give it up, though. I wear 1# wrist weights to slow the hand tremors (it does nothing for the fingers, though), but I can't cast with wrist weights. I also can't hold the hair for hair wings, so I use substitute Antron for a Wright's Royal or a Quack.

I subscribe to the old Maritimer's philosophy that if it can't be fixed with bailing twine or duct tape, then you just accommodate it. If the lock is broken on the passenger side door, some bailing twine or duct tape will keep it closed... but you need to remember to always keep the window open so you can crawl in. If your transmission is stuck in fifth gear, don't park anywhere you would need to back up. If your starter is dead, park on a hill. If your solenoid is fried, short across it with a tire iron. [All of the life lessons above are offered free. If I charged any more, it would exceed the value of the cars that taught me the lessons. ]

Just my opinion, YMMV. Good fishing.
spm, smp005 and lanyard like this.

http://overmywaders.com