The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Fly Fishing Knots

Fly Fishing Knots A discussion on fly fishing knots

Like Tree101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2016, 04:33 PM

lanyard is a jewel in the roughlanyard is a jewel in the roughlanyard is a jewel in the rough
Default Knot Tying Tools

Who uses one or more of them to good advantage? Which one? The tie fast tool seems a great nail knot tool, while the Three in one has the additional feature of the spring loaded clasp. Don't have either, but plan to get one or both...

Finally, (or maybe there are others) just using forceps to clasp tag ends is a tidy method. Any comments, insight, appreciated...thanks.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard
Default Re: Knot Tying Tools

Just this one for nail knots.

Click the image to open in full size.

All others are pretty easy but I struggled with nail knots for many years. A guy in a shop here gave me one of these because he felt sorry for me living in my cave. It is the slickest thing I ever used!

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-29-2016, 04:51 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

They're a crutch as far as I'm concerned, not that I have a lot of experience using them.
Tying knots is a fly fishing fundamental. No less important than casting and reading the water
If you're arthritic or have terrible eyesight, that's one thing, but tying good knots is only a matter of practice and anyone can learn to do it well with a minimal amount of effort.

The only knot tool that I actually own is the Dennison Blood Knot Tool which is usually used for tying leaders.
I can do it faster by hand.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:50 PM

rockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant future

I use a part of the ink tube in a Bic Pen for nail knots. I've used similar tubes since I started tying nail knots in the 70's.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:55 PM

scotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant future

I use the tie fast tool and I thank God for it every time I use it. It has made tying my leader to my fly line so much easier. One of my best investments on the water.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:16 PM

jimw is a glorious beacon of lightjimw is a glorious beacon of lightjimw is a glorious beacon of lightjimw is a glorious beacon of lightjimw is a glorious beacon of light

+1 on the tie fast tool, nail knot with the tool all other by hand
Old 03-29-2016, 06:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Just this one for nail knots.

Click the image to open in full size.

All others are pretty easy but I struggled with nail knots for many years. A guy in a shop here gave me one of these because he felt sorry for me living in my cave. It is the slickest thing I ever used!
+1 for nail knots, all the others I can tie by hand.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:56 PM

lanyard is a jewel in the roughlanyard is a jewel in the roughlanyard is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the comments, guys...
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:00 PM

weiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to all

I use something similar to Rockriver. I had an old can of WD-40 that was used up, so cut a 2" section of the tube - less than half the diameter of a pen ink tube - which I use for my nail knots. It works great. I don't use any other tools, but have considered one of those blood knot tiers.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:40 AM

spm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant future

I agree that a knot tool can be seen as a crutch by some. I try to tie my knots without the aid of a tool. However, sometimes my fingers just won't work, and I then use the Tie Fast Tool mentioned above. I was introduced to it by a guide several years ago. It is very easy to use.

steve
hairwing530, weiliwen and smp005 like this.