The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Reels Classifieds

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By ia_trouter
  • 1 Post By sageandonion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Nice Vintage Reel for Glass or Cane rods;

I have been using a Martin MG-7 on my Orvis 6'6" five weight glass rod for a few years now. In December I picked up a Hardy Marquis #6 that I'm going to have to use so............... I'm offering an MG-3 in really clean shape to anyone looking for vintage good looks and performance.

The reel measures 3 3/8" diameter by a 3/4 spool width, good for 4 - 5 lines. It weighs 4 ounces so it balances well with glass or cane in the 6.5 - 7.5 range. Finish is baked enamel dark gray, the MG line of reels was Martin's answer to the lack of quality when compared to the Hardy Lightweight series. They managed a nice reel and kept the price down at the same time.

Click the image to open in full size.

Very little in the way of wear and has a nice little polished nickel line guard.

Outgoing line tension provided by Martin's single pawl check system. The range of tension from 0 - 10 is very noticeable.

All together a reel in very good used condition considering its age, these were produced circa 1979 - 1980.

Price: 60.00 and I pay postage to you. No Pay Pal on this, checks are better because I don't pay fees to receive them
650flyguy likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 01-19-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:19 PM

repperson29 is a name known to allrepperson29 is a name known to allrepperson29 is a name known to allrepperson29 is a name known to allrepperson29 is a name known to allrepperson29 is a name known to all
Default Re: Nice Vintage Reel for Glass or Cane rods;

Not interested in the reel (although it is nice) a work around the paypal thing is for the sender to mark it as going to friends or family instead of goods or services.

Ryan
Old 01-17-2014, 09:22 PM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

Yes. Sending "gifts" is fee free. It's frowned upon by pp but unless you're using your pp acct for business I doubt they're gonna investigate.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I know this but............. if I have a bunch of people sending me gifts?? I just don't need the potential problem. The Pay Pal account is very handy to have when I am paying for something online, I know everyone likes that part. My problem is I don't like to break rules or lie about anything, not even 3% charge on 60 dollars.

The reason that some of these reels are in such good condition is that I kept them that way. Some I have only owned a few years but had to pay a high price for them because they were 2 things; not beat up & sought after by others.

These are nice reels, not hardy, not Orvis, but they were a unique American make. I picked up another last November, slightly larger made by Martin for LL Bean. That is the real reason this one is for sale.

This is the LL reel;

Smaller than an MG-9, larger than the MG-7, since I have an LL bean Glass rod I snatched the reel up. I had never seen one or knew that they made them for bean. I had to give a good price for that one too but I will keep it clean.
jaybo41 and 650flyguy like this.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:18 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

The LL Bean reel is clean. That should make a nice vintage combo.

Regarding the "gifting". I remember not so long ago when you could buy and sell $50 items on ebay and use PayPal. The transaction fees were half what they are now. I followed the markets and they were quite profitable then. Once eBay acquired PayPal they had a monopoly and the inevitable happened. I'll be glad when there are other options to conveniently move money online without paying a years bank interest rate on the transaction. It will happen eventually.

Sorry for the thread derail.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:45 PM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post

Regarding the "gifting". I remember not so long ago when you could buy and sell $50 items on ebay and use PayPal. The transaction fees were half what they are now. I followed the markets and they were quite profitable then. Once eBay acquired PayPal they had a monopoly and the inevitable happened. I'll be glad when there are other options to conveniently move money online without paying a years bank interest rate on the transaction. It will happen eventually.

Sorry for the thread derail.
It's called bitcoin
Old 01-18-2014, 12:56 AM
Administrator

I'm watching bitcoin, and thinking it is the next big thing.

Yes the eBay charges are killing me, if I were one of the sellers who scoops up estate sales and live auction items and then lists hundreds of items I would use the site. However I can't afford to sell a 50 or 60 dollar item and have to pay a total of 9.5 - 12.5% out of the money.

A few years ago I risk a Hardy St. Andrew starting at 99.00 for the bid. I had been watching them sell regular between 395.00 and 475.00. Mine was clean with original case, it had 32 watchers and the price was at 300.00 in the final hours. I had fought the urge to end the sale for a full day when no one would bid any higher than 300 but I figured there would be a last second fight for it................ WRONG! It ended at 300.00, by the time eBay soaked me for fees I got 269.75 for the reel. I paid more than that 15 years prior!

I was pretty down after that..........

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Thanks for noticing Dewayne the brown color took some time to catch on but it is a perfect fit on the old rod. It's as if they were made for one another. The Marquis I bought is one of the disc models made for Bean by Hardy. They were matt black anodized and engraved GQS on the back. If you ever run across one cheap snatch it up. i'll have to post a picture of it.......

Old 01-18-2014, 05:29 AM

sageandonion is on a distinguished road

The Paypal 'gift' thing isn't so much about lying to Paypal, it's about not having Paypal protection (for a gift) if the item 'goes missing'... for whatever reason.

Nice reels btw...
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:31 AM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

Ard,

I'll take the MG-3. PM me.

Thanks,

Emil
Old 06-10-2014, 06:55 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

This reel finally ended up on my 9 ft. 4 wt. Z-Axis. It feels great and will stay there for the summer.