The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Business Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Business Classifieds Featuring fishing tackle offers from retailers, manufacturers and others in the trade. Please see first post for information on how to register. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. Please note the bumping of adverts is not permitted.

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 10:12 PM

fish_on is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Allen Fly Fishing - Product Discounts

Just got an Alpha 7/8 today in the mail. The gunmetal finish looks even better in person. The reel is super smooth while reeling forward and has a very pleasant drag sound in reverse. It is very light for a 7/8 reel and competes very well in weight with 7/8 reels from other big name companies. Take Lamson for example:

KONIC 3.5 3.70" 1.22" 6.10 oz 7,8 WF8 200 yds 20# $139

GURU 3 3.63" 1.25" 5.50 oz 7,8 WF7 150 yds 20# $199

LITESPEED 3 3.75" 1.25" 5.10 oz 6,7,8 WF7 150 yds 20# $339

VELOCITY 3 3.63" 1.25" 5.10 oz 7,8 WF7 150 yds 20# $269

VANQUISH 7.8 LT* 3.8" 1.375" 5.10 oz 7,8 WF 7 150 yds 20# $699

The new Alpha 7/8 comes in at 5.37 oz, much lighter and half the price (for forum members) of the Konic 7/8. I'm just comparing weight here. Lamson's are known for their awesome conical drags. The drag on the Alpha seems smooth and strong and I have no worries about it. I think the looks of Allen reels are as good as any reel out there and overall are a killer deal for a well made precision machined reel. Now I just got to tangle with a big ol' carp and put the drag to the test!

Last edited by fish_on; 12-09-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:56 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

Just got back from the local fly shop after having backing and line put on my new Alpha Series 7/8. The reel took WF8 + 150 yds 30lb backing.

Any idea how much backing it would take in 20lb?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:15 PM

gtom61 is on a distinguished road

Hi. I'm relatively new to fly fishing and this forum, but I wanted to share this with all of you. And i'm sure many of you have similar ones. My apologies if this is a bit lengthy.

I heard about Allen Fly Fishing (Justin) through afriend here in Nor California several months ago. I saw someone with an XL and he educated me a bit on reelss. I'm an avid black bass fisherman, so i could appreciate this kinda info.

Anyways, did my homework on the web and i found very little if anything negative about Allen, so being the bass fisherman, especially for the prices, i decided what kind of fish i was going after and bought several different reels from Justin.

So far, I've purchased 4 reels, and waiting on 1 and a few other toys including the new NanoTi rod. But here's the story. I know he's been busy and some of my orders have been delayed which is fine, but here's how he's taken care of me in the past few months:

1. Extra fly lines for a trip because he thought i should have more weight options
2. Sent me an Alpha 5/6 immediately when i told him i was going on a trip the following week
3. Needed a spare Alpha 7/8 spool for my older Alpha model for my upcoming Steelhead trip, and sends me a new model Alpha 7/8 reel that i received last night, and he says he knows and to keep it.

Now that's customer service! And he answers his phone. Justin, you have a loyal customer here for as long as you are in business.

Gerry
Old 12-11-2010, 01:48 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

Let me second that. I ordered 1 7/8 Alpha reel and spare spool. He sent 2 complete reels and threw in an 8wt F line (and offered me a 7WT DT when they come in). I will definitely be recommending him to all as well as going to him for all my line and reel needs. THANKS JUSTIN!
Old 12-11-2010, 06:24 PM

cnanoski has a spectacular aura aboutcnanoski has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Allen Fly Fishing - Product Discounts

The guy gave me one of his well made chest packs as a consolation for having to wait a couple of weeks for a new reel to come instock. Great reels, great pack and great service...
Old 12-11-2010, 06:44 PM

brucered is on a distinguished road

man, everyones getting their rods/reels but me

i ordered my setup the middle of last month, still nothing shown up. we'll blame it on the CDN/US border

like others, i run to the mail box every day hoping it's there. don't know what i'd do with it, with 6' of snow and all the rivers frozen, but i'm still anxiously awaiting.

in Justin's defense, i told him no rush. but i still keep hoping it's there.

glad to hear about the great CS and products. glad i found this place and allen products.

** update ** Justin has already sent me a PM and is investigating. man that guy is on top of things. less then 1hr after my post, and he's checking in on it.

Last edited by brucered; 12-11-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:38 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Fished my Alpha 5/6 today for the first time in some very rough conditions. South Platte River, extremely low flows, gin clear water, bluebird sky, cold and windy. However, on the two fish I hooked into, the reel worked flawlessly. I have to admit that both fish could have been brought in by stripping, but I purposely got them on the reel and tried to adjust the drag while playing the fish, and got an idea for how much each small turn releases the drag tension. The drag knob was easy to find and to adjust without looking, the lightness of the reel kept my arm from getting tired, it balanced my 6 weight perfectly, it did not freeze up, it did its job well. I am a very happy customer. Good job Justin.

Gary
Old 12-12-2010, 09:18 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Glad to hear it. I found my furled leaders. So I went ahead and put my Rio Bass line(clearance) on my Alpha reel. I have it all set up, with leader, and tippet. It is already on my rod, in the case. It has been cold lately for here. Tonight it will get about 22 degrees. Once we get a little warm spell in the daytime I plan on trying it out. After tonight it is supposed to warm up a little. I could of put a little more backing on, but too late now. Usually I estimate a little on the high side. This reel is so sweet. I set the drag, and it is all ready to go. It looks better on my rod too. The reel seat and all is silver, so the reel looks better than my black reel did. The rod is brown. Anyway, I cannot wait to try this baby out. I have been very impressed with Justin's stuff so far. I have a fly box coming too, and cannot wait to see it. I have been telling a bunch of people about Justin's gear, so I bet he will get some more customers pretty soon, if not already.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:57 AM

fish_on is on a distinguished road

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by fish_on; 12-13-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:01 PM

diverdown is on a distinguished road

I recently received my 8wt switch rod from Justin and mated it with his Alpha 9/10 reel. Man is that a sweet setup. Tested it out on the Salmon River in November and both performed very well. Rod had excellent action when fighting the big brown's we were catching and the drag on the reel was very smooth. I recommend Justin's gear to everybody I meet.

Talking about great customer service, I recently ordered a spare spool for my Alpha 9/10 so I could also use the reel with my new Red Truck Diesel Spey rod (13.6ft 7wt) and when I received the package, a whole reel was included. That is just rock solid customer service and very much appreciated. Justin really knows how to take care of his customers.

~Stephen