The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Business Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Business Classifieds Featuring fishing tackle offers from retailers, manufacturers and others in the trade. Please see first post for information on how to register. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. Please note the bumping of adverts is not permitted.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 11:22 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: CutThroat Leaders Discount Offer

Furled Leaders, What are they and why do I want one…?

What is a furled leader…? A furled leader is all about Presentation, Simplicity and Durability. Tapered Furled leaders are created using multiple strands of very small diameter material, therefore the leader does not have any of the memory that is often associated with a standard tapered leader. No more stretching / pulling trying to remove the coiled memory. The furled leader / tippet and fly will lay out straight right from the first cast. The absence of memory allows all the energy of your loaded rod to travel down the line, the leader and ultimately to the fly. Your Fly line is memory free, why would you attach a leader that is not?

Presentation: You will see improvements in accuracy, casting into the wind as well as your casting distance will be lengthened. Another major benefit, you are always fishing with an engineered / designed leader. No more short stubby leaders that will not turn a fly.

Simplicity: Most furled leaders come with a loop on the fly line end. The tippet end comes with either a tippet ring or a loop for easy tippet changes.

Durability: Thread Furled leaders are known for durability. If a furled leader is used properly, i.e. use the appropriate size tippet for that specific leader, they can last a full season of heavy fishing. If you do get a wind knot, pull the knot tight and keep fishing.

If you have not yet giving a furled leader a try, you owe it to yourself to do so. No other small dollar purchase can have such a positive effect on your fly fishing experience.

How to use:
We tell fly fishers to start with 4’-0” of tippet tied to the end of our furled leader. I know of many great fly fishers that only use 18-24” of tippet and I know many that throw 6-7’ of straight line tippet. 5X tippet matches up best with our medium weight leader. If you need to have a terminal end tippet of 6x or 7x, I recommend using 3-4’ of 5X and then tie 12-18” of 6x or 7x to the 5X tippet. In my opinion, 6X & 7X do not have enough mass to turn over long lengths of tippet.

The leaders comes with either a tippet ring or a shorb loop. I prefer the loop as it makes for s a stronger connection. If you choose the ring and the ring breaks off (typically using 4x tippet and snagged a tree), simply tie your tippet to the end of the leader. A simple overhand knot with two wraps gets the job done.

The thread leaders do need to be treated to float. Paste floatant is best. If treated in the morning, they should float most of the day. Unless you catch 20+ fish, you may have to reapply. I know of many fly fishers that grease up the entire leader minus the last 12” of so. This keeps the fly below the surface of the water by 6-12”. Great for fishing emergers.

Untreated leaders sink fast. They make great wet fly leaders, swinging small streamers, etc. Thread leaders are not great with indicators. For indicators, look at our Hi-Vis Nymph Leader or our "Big Bug" leader which is great to use with a thing-a-ma-bobber indicator.

I am always available to answer questions. Please do not hesitate to call or email me. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Mike Morin
grtlksmarlin likes this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 04-10-2014, 01:03 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the responses!

I'm seriously considering giving these a solid try but hesitate in that I'm one of those "you never know the situation, so buy two of everything!" kinda guys. Naturally this is a bit of an investment compared to what I'd typically use (Orvis SS tapered).....Yet I'm really intrigued and think it might be worth a shot.

Plus, I REALLY like the idea of a more controlled tippet length and size vs. standard tapered offerings (IGFA related).

Thanks again!

B.E.F.

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

You Devils!.....Now I really want these things, when will the buying madness ever end?!

B.E.F.......I'll be the poor homeless guy living under the bridge.
mridenour likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:14 PM

tail of the pool is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tail of the pool

Please check your inbox mail sent with no response
I think I fish, in part, because it’s an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. –John Gierach